window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Spring Training - Yanks v. Rays

February 26, 2009

Spring Training - Yanks v. Rays

Today the Yankees took on the Rays in the Spring Training home opener with Hughes starting for the Yankees, and Davis for the Rays. I happened to turn it on just in time to see Hughes bean 2 consecutive batters, which I thought was a great way to start off the 2009 season. Hughes pitched well in his 2 innings, as did Davis who struck out Teixeira. Jorge Posada smashed one in his first AB into the RF bleachers at Steinbrenner field. It was nice to see Jorge smash the ball this early after his shoulder surgery. Teixeira looked good at first stretching very well to scoop a 6-3 ground out from Kapler (sorry Sooz). Kapler also his a weak line drive to Cano for those of you keeping tabs.

The most important thing I saw in the first half of the game was Robbie Cano was looking very good in the field. Great range to the left and right for two different plays. His first AB he looked patient and not trying to smash the leather off the ball. Great news for the Yankees, but may be bad news for my collection if he is playing well. I would much rather see him play well and help the Yankees than to worry about how much another sticker auto is going to end up costing me.

I only watched the first half of the game before heading out to the gym. I can only take the first few games so seriously. But let me tell you, this got me all fired up for the season. I am usually bored in the winter and eagerly awaiting spring training, and more importantly the MLB package which surpasses pretty much anything on tv on any given night or day of the week.

Let's go Yankees!

9 comments:

  1. Ha - I watched the game too. I think it was more like the Yankees vs. the Durham Bulls with that lineup that the Rays put out there. It was a true snooze fest, but Wade Davis looked very, very good against the Yankee millionaires...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't expect much out of Spring Training, then you can't be disappointed. Wade Davis looks like he might be a great pitcher for the Rays depending on what happens later on, but he definitely has some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't consecutive batters, Hughes struck out Carl Crawford in between Kennedy and the other guy. The good news is nobody got hurt, Posada is getting his swing back and the bullpen possibilities are looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I turned the game on one guy was already hit, and then when Hughes hit the second guy he was like, "Now Hughes has hit two consecutive batters", hence why I assumed the guy paying attention from the first pitch had the correct information. Then again, after years of listening to him, I should know better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, sorry, I didn't mean to knit-pick but I had to give some credit to Phil Hughes. We all should know better than to take Michael Kay and Ken Singleton's word for it. I like them as announcers but they aren't the best. At one point Kay said the score was 6-1 when it was 5-1. He even "corrected" himself after stating the score was 5-1. I guess this is why announcers go to Spring Training too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind being corrected at all, but you are right about the announcers needing spring training. Those two probably need it more than the team, and just a little less than John Sterling who loses his scorecard halfway thru most games.

    ReplyDelete