window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Living In Cardboard

February 21, 2009

Living In Cardboard

It's everywhere I look. Every nook, every cranny has cards or a white cardboard box in it. There are scattered plastic snap cases filled, loose piles, top loaders, penny sleeves, and shipping supplies but mostly cardboard. I am sure I am not the only one suffering from this disease, as there are many of you out there just like me.

In a recent attempt to try and bring some sort of semblance and order to this debacle, I began throwing other things away, like clothes, to make more room for cards. I know that sounds crazy, but some things I can live without.

I saw a small bookcase in the Target flyer 2 weeks ago for $16 bucks, and I literally ran there to get one because I figured I could slap that together and use it for cardboard storage. I won't say that the purchased bookcase (which I HAD to have the same day it was seen) is still in the box, unassembled. I was going to put it together tonight, but clearly I decided talking about putting it together would be more fun than actually doing so. So now I sit here, writing this and staring at Jay Leno doing essentially nothing. (I'm working on motivation.) Target needs to get blasters in so I stop wasting money on bookcases, and waste it on cards.

I still have not started my 2009 want list that I swore I was going to do weeks ago. I gotta say, I no longer care. In case anyone was looking for that list to actually happen, it probably won't so don't hold your breath out there.

Anyone else have a literal "cardboard problem"? I feel like it's a constant battle to get everything sorted and put away and sometimes it ruins the fun of collecting and buying, so I guess that explains why I rarely put stuff away unless it's in my PC. Some people hate clutter, I embrace it.

I just had my best idea yet. I will finish Joe Torre's book since I have no idea what happened to the 2005-2007 Yankee teams, I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation. Stay tuned for an attempt at a decent book review from someone who never reviews books.

19 comments:

  1. Kim and I are laying in bed on our laptops watching Leno as well. Both tired after entertaining friends for dinner tonight. My "man cave" is a cardboard sanctuary where all paper products are safe. But I could really use a shelf and organizational system for my 5000 count boxes. Apparently I missed out on that Target shelf deal. Should've jumped on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, be glad you missed it. The shelf is only 11 5/8" deep which would not hold those boxes. I have the 3200 count boxes and can't find a suitable piece of furniture or anything for them except this random tv cart I had from when I was a kid. I hate that piece of furniture but for now, it holds the 3200 count boxes that are organized by player for easy sorting/adding access.

    Stay tuned for Conan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHH!!! How did you like that cartoon of A-Rod? I was cracking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must've missed it. I saw the part where they were re-enacting the award nominated movies. I thought their re-enactment of "The Wrestler" was pretty funny. And girl from the Today show was hilarious. She reminds me of someone I work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hate clutter, but I have the same problem that you do. I have an entire bonus room in my house that is filled with unorganized cards. I keep waiting for magical free time that never seems to arrive to organize it all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the A-Rod clip will be on youtube, or the Tonight Shows website. They made his press conference into him reading from a story book. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought nearly 500 cards today, which is absolutely nuts because I'm way behind on organizing my Dodgers (stacks of sheets are everywhere) and have been stuck on the letter "H" in cataloguing my collection for the last three months

    Add the fact that I can't get myself to buy the three or four binders I desperately need, the top loaders that fell off my desk today and scattered all over the floor, and the stacks of cards I have set up to send people, and I think I've got a cardboard problem, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess that means a trade is out of the question right now? LOL. I have plenty of Dodgers that can be shipped off to you in exchange for some fun stuff for me. I can wait 'til you can find the floor again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My entire house looks like a card shop exploded, killing thousands in a wave of senseless horror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, dayf if you need to unload some Pujols to free any innocent people, I would be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to self impose a rule that any card more than ten years old that wasn't a Sox player had to be tossed (or donated). That has helped keep things under control a little more. That left me with a smaller collection of "guys I may want later". If I didn't want them in ten years, I figured I was safe. So, now that the 2009s are out, I can clear out a few thousand 1999 cards to make room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's see, over 13, 5000 count boxes in my basement card storage area. About 30 smaller boxes of sets I'm working on, 12-15 3 ring binders and all the other stuff. Yeah, this is problem. I actually listed some sets on Craiglist this morning. Sold a few last year this way. I am desperately trying to get rid of stuff. I'll keep an eye out for Pujols for you.

    All kidding aside, I've often wondered if collecting is some form of OCD. Think about it. Putting cards in number order, making sure there are no creases or dings. Having to have all the sp's for a set, otherwise it isn't truly complete. I wonder if there are shrinks on the staffs of the manufacturers. (Ya ya, put in zee sp cards, it vill drive zem nuts.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are looking for hardcore card storage, The Container Store has a great rack system that perfectly holds 30 3,200 count boxes and they work great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great, just what I need another thing to build like Bob the Builder. That actually sounds better than what I bought, now I just need to locate one of those stores.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there is one in White Plains near the Westchester Mall. It's across the street near Outback.

    I will gladly go with you for a steak dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That reminds me, my current solution isn't working very well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, I should take pictures of this nightmare. Although, with all the cleaning it is looking a little better.

    I would flung that cat so far if it was on my cards. Not to mention, I'm not a fan of cats, I like dogs.

    ReplyDelete