window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: A Baseball Card Book

February 1, 2009

A Baseball Card Book


I went out to dinner last night with a friend of mine, and afterward we stopped at Borders Bookstore because he had to return something. We ended up getting coffee and looking around at stuff. We picked up some random books, then I headed over to the collectibles section to see what was there. I grabbed a book called The Card, by Michael O'Keeffe and Teri Thompson. It is the story of two collectors who end up with the Honus Wagner a.k.a. Holy Grail card.

I managed to read through the first chapter in the store, and some of the second. I plan on re-reading it though probably tonight and seeing how far I get. Obviously this isn't a book most people can appreciate, except for people like me and you, the readers. So far I am enjoying this book, and I plan to post a review once I finish it.

If anyone has read this, I will welcome a discussion about it once I finish it. It was published in 2007 and I am sure many people have picked this up if they have seen it.

P.S. If you haven't registered for the contest, please read the previous post and put your name down to win.

9 comments:

  1. I have two bookcases full of baseball/baseballcard books but have not seen this. Will have to look for it. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this a month ago. I'm notoriously slow in getting books read. I've read about 15 pages.

    Lots of other bloggers have said it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great book. I read most of it waiting in line to pick up Harry Potter book 7. The chapters on Honus are really interesting and break up the corruption and intrigue in the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shoulda just asked. I would have let you borrow it.

    It's really good and you wouldn't have had to spend any money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read this last weekend. I read the first three chapters on Saturday and finished it on Sunday! After reading this I will never think about getting a card graded again! All in all it is a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooz, I never heard you mention the book to know you had it. Way to go, lol.

    I start reading alot of things and if it doesn't capture my interest instantly I won't ever finish them. This is something I see being finished by tomorrow, maybe Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dayf told me when I announced that I was reading the book that if I wasn't cynical before about this Hobby, I will be by the time I finish it. Boy was he right. I will never EVER look at a Mastro catalog the same way again.

    It is a great read regardless, and when you do decide to have a discussion on it, please add me to the guest list.

    Sincerely,

    JayBee Anama
    bdj610

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished up The Card last month. Great read. It made me think about many aspects of collecting.

    I'd be happy to join in a discussion of it when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good journalism. And a major reality check for high-end card people in particular.

    ReplyDelete