window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Are we -- the collectors -- part of the problem?

April 22, 2009

Are we -- the collectors -- part of the problem?

If you live under a rock, you probably didn’t know today was Earth Day, otherwise known as ‘Celebrate Al Gore’s Best Accomplishment Day.’

However, looking around at my little world (not the Earth) I can’t help but wonder if baseball card collectors are helping with the global crisis. As baseball card collectors, we hoard cardboard. Whether it’s the actual baseball card or the container we keep them in. All of it is made of paper, which in turn is made from our pretty little trees that give us oxygen.

Is this making it too simplistic? I don’t know.

But if we thought in simpler terms, perhaps we would have some of the problems we today.
I’m not perfect. I love baseball cards and enjoy unwrapping a bubble mailer to see my newest addition. My Derek Jeter card collection is well over 1,000 cards.

So in spirit of Earth Day and trying to do the little I can in this world, I want to recycle my cardboard. The cards aren’t going into the shredder and being made into toilet paper. I just want to give away some of my cards that I have sitting around here that I probably won’t look at again.

Tell me whom you collect and I’ll send out a couple of bubble mailers (used ones, of course). I’ll do it for the first ten people that respond to this post.

I love our Earth and the fact that we can enjoy baseball cards.



I saw this video on Wil Wheaton's blog. Yes, that Wil Wheaton.

-Sooz

22 comments:

  1. first, what the hell are you doing reading wil wheatons' blog?
    second, sign me up for chipper, mccann, laroche, you know, the usual suspects.
    (what hasn't been turned into toilet paper that is)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Jays in general, Roy Halladay specific

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you NOT reading it!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the best ever is wil wheaton on Family Guy.
    OMG, I thought I was going to lose it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sooz!

    ToddUncommon here. I collect A's, Giants, Mariners.

    Players are Lincecum, Seaver, Ichiro, and Felix Hernandez, and any and all random A's.

    I'll soon be recycling back to you and Marie in return. Let me know if I need to forward you a few bucks for the postage.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curtis Granderson and Detroit Tigers across the board.

    Also, I'm not sure that the cards are the problem as much as things like the bubble mailers. Think about it--cardboard is often made from recycled pulp and then the cards are safely stored and not disposed of. Meanwhile, non-biodegradable bubble mailers (think of all the plastic in the bubbles) are often doomed to one use and the landfill. My recommendation to collectors that want to make a difference is reuse those bubble mailers for as long as you can. Your planet (and wallet) will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like Albert Pujols please.

    I don't think I count.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like Ichiro or ... well just anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like any Dodgers, please.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you may have stumbled onto a great idea. Print baseball cards on toilet paper. That way we can read them in the "reading room", save the ones we like, then ...uhhh ...use up the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to put claims on Hershiser, even though the Dodgers have been claimed. He was on a couple of other teams. Humor me, please.

    If no Hershiser, please send all Cubs, big or small, to Steve, over at Wait 'Til Next Year.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  12. If Marie doesn't count, then I'll take White Sox cards. If she counts in this promotion, then I just missed and better luck to me next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like your Padres please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Number 10 and I will take red SOx please.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rats, I'm too late. I was going to ask for Honus Wagner. Diabolical.

    Oh, and, I've heard that Wil's blog is fantastic. I just never remember to go over there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blue Jays, Blue Jays, Blue Jay
    any and all BLUE JAYS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie doesn't count. She already has all my Pujols cards.

    I'll try to get out as many cards as I can this weekend. If it's over ten, that's no problem.

    Just ask away and I'll put every down on a list of what they request. But probably digitally so I don't waste any paper. :)

    By the way Bill, don't think I have never thought about wiping my you-know-what with a card before. I think that everytime I see a Jeff Weaver card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi guys!!

    i collect Florida Marlins if you have any around i would sure take them!! i would even send you a bubble mailer for them if you like!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wait a minute, another BoSoxer? Who authorized that?

    Great idea Sooz.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Damn, looks like I may have missed out! Well, just in case, I like Cardinals :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sooz, if you have any Dodgers leftover, I'll take them. But if you don't, please don't worry about it. This is very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. recycling cards the old fashioned way . . . someone's "junk" is someone else's treasure . . . nice gesture and thank you in advance from all of us who do indeed "recycle". I will "tresure" your Cubs (first choice of course) or Rays (only because I live near Tampa and they are in the AL). Thank you !

    ReplyDelete