window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Sunday Question: Do the card companies owe you something?

April 25, 2010

Sunday Question: Do the card companies owe you something?

Twitter has been around for a couple of years now but hasn't really been as popular as it has been for the last year in my opinion. With the whole Twitter wave it seems to have given many people a way to communicate with fellow bloggers that you probably wouldn't be sitting on AIM or G-chat talking to all day.

Personally, I think Twitter is a great means of communication on so many levels. You can hear what is going on at games through the sports writers, peek in on celebrities and sports figures that you like (despite that you may question who exactly is doing the tweeting). Sometimes there is an off chance that one of the people you follow will write back, which makes it that much more fun when someone like Jillian Michaels writes you back when you weren't even trying to illicit a response (hooray for me).

But... then you have the people that use Twitter to complain and bitch about the hobby all day long like the card companies owe them something. I love that Topps and Upper Deck (what's left of them) are on there trying to communicate and really listen to what collectors want but they aren't on there to listen to grievances all day. I read the same people OVER and OVER again question Topps as to why some bozo prospect or their favorite player is not in their sets, or why they haven't been privvy to sell sheets and release dates. Then they also need a full explanation as to why it is that way.

I get that not having a certain player in a set is frustrating and you collect a player because you like them. However, no one owes you an explanation. Cano didn't have a chrome card in Heritage this year, boohoo. One less card for me to track down. Sometimes when your players aren't in ONE set it's almost like a break to not have to go find it. Then they whammy you on another set like Finest where I have what, 5 versions of Pujols, Lind, and Cano (and if I'm feeling saucy) Russ Martin to track down?

My point in all this is that I would like to know if there are people out there that think that with Topps and UD being on Twitter that they are there to hear your complaints day in and day out? Do you think that since they are there that you can constantly ask them to explain to you why certain things were done certain ways, or do you think that it's their business and that they work there and you don't for a reason?

7 comments:

  1. I don't feel that companies like Upper Deck and Topps owe me anything. However, I do feel that if they want to embrace this form of social networking as another frontier of advertising, and let's face it that is their base motivation here, then they best be prepared to embrace the "social" aspect of it.

    As far as I have experienced my dealings with the people running the Twitter feeds has been positive. Especially Topps.

    I ran into a situation recently that I would have fully expected the response to be, "Too Bad", but Topps bent over backwards to resolve the situation to MY liking.

    I repeat that, Topps settled on a solution only when I was happy with the results.

    So, do I feel that the card companies "owe me something"? No. All they owe me is to release a product that shows they care about the collector. That's all. If this new form of communication with the collector leads to that end goal then that is all anyone is truly owed.

    Good question!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I complained to Topps on Twitter twice (once on on-card autos, and once more about my Million Card Giveaway cards that got bent up in the mail). I did complain during the roundtable, but they were asking for criticism there.

    Now, all that said... Card companies don't owe me a darn thing. Throughout my years of collecting, cards have given me more joy than angst. I may not agree with a company, or like a design, but that's the way it goes. I'm sure other people feel the opposite. Heck, I'm sure many people don't like the things I do.

    I don't expect handouts from companies, nor press releases (in fact, I've moved my blog away from that stuff), or anything else. I especially don't expect them to think my ideas, comments, or whatever are the end-all be-all of the hobby. I'm not going to make or break a company, and I don't think any blogger should think they can either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card companies don't owe me anything. I've never done a redemption so I don't have any insight in that area of collecting. If I don't like a product, I won't buy it (shrug).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I believe that card companies owe me anything, well yes and no. In terms of players in sets or the preference of on card auto's, quite honestly it doesn't matter to me. If I buy a box of Triple Threads, I know going into the purchase exactly what I am getting myself into. If I don't like the results of crappy design or sticker auto's, I should not have made the purchase and bought something else to my "preferred" liking.

    However, where I do believe the card company owes something to the consumer is in letting us know exactly what we are purchasing. If I crack a box of something and get a Prince Fielder bat relic, that had better be a piece of Louisville Slugger in that card and not a seat piece from Miller Park or the CEO's picnic table.

    I think we have the right to make suggestions to companies to let them know what we like, but I don't believe it is their responsibility to listen. If they put out inferior product sooner or later it will catch up with them. Just be honest with us with what is in the product and we will keep buying, it won't matter if it is sticker auto or not. We will keep buying, we already do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. do you think twitter will really be around for much longer? or go the way of the dodo bird? (like myspace)

    2. who is Jillian Michaels?

    3. when did Russell Martin become "Russ" Martin?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. yes
    2. a trainer on Biggest Loser
    3. since he became part of my PC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, Topps owes me an Elvis Andrus auto from Topps T-206.

    I got an email to prove it.

    ReplyDelete