window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Something to lighten the mood

May 6, 2010

Something to lighten the mood

I've had a rough couple of days. My grandfather passed away on Sunday and I've spent the last couple of days with my family in New York doing what people do when someone dies. My grandfather was amazing. He was everyone's Baba (that's what we called him).

He had 12 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and four kids. However, only two of his kids are still around. My aunt and uncle both died within the last 10 years. My Baba had a tough life, but I never ever saw him without a smile on his face. He was strong for us all and always told us not to cry even when the moment called for it. When I saw him laying there on the wake, I kept thinking how he would be telling me right now to cry.

Honestly, I am not really sure why I am telling this story on here. I don't really talk about my personal life on the Internet, but I just felt compelled to tell everyone about him. Two paragraphs don't give him justice and I am sure two pages wouldn't either.

When I came home today after a 13-hour work day (and didn't care to talk to people about Robin Roberts dying because I'm being irrational today) I found a package waiting for me. Inside the box was another smaller box around cotton balls.

I almost felt like I was getting a gift for a baby boy with all the blue, but I knew something was better inside than a onesie.

Here's what put a smile on my face for the first time in about four days.

This picture does absolutely no justice for this card. It looks amazing in hand. I won this card from Topps Cards on Twitter in one of two - yes, two! - contests I won last week. I thought I would try my luck on Mega Millions, but I might have wasted all my luck on these two contests, though I am not complaining.

While the Babe isn't going to replace my Baba, this card did help take my mind off for a bit as I wiggled it in the light.

Thanks Topps.

That's my Gramps dancing at my cousin's wedding about three years ago. :)

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss, I understand how hard it can be to talk about your family on the blog. I am sure you would have made your grandfather very happy with your remembrance.

    Congratulations on winning the two contests, that Ruth card is a wonderful prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card... and your grandfather sounded like one of those rare great men. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Grandfather. Scott, Caty and I will be praying for you and you family.

    There is a quote by Leo Buscaglia that I kind of found rather to be comforting at times for me and I would like to share it with you as perhaps it may give you a little comfort as well:

    "I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooz, I'm so sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to me last summer (minus the contest winnings) and it is just one of those hard things to deal with. My best wishes to you and your family and may you always remember you grandfather fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss, although as Tim pointed out, you haven't really lost your Baba.

    It's nice that the Ruth card gave you an escape from real life for a bit. We all need those from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Baba. Two paragraphs may not do him justice, but the thought of even putting that much out there for a bunch of strangers to read I'm sure would be priceless to him.

    And that Ruth is awesome ... even if he is pictured as a Yankee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the sentiment. I really do appreciate it.

    One of the things I liked about the card was the date too. It says July 13 on it when Ruth hit his 700th home run. My birthday is close to that, so I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss. I had a great grandfather pass away recently, so I know how you feel.


    That Ruth card is the coolest card I've ever seen, and like you said, it would definately lighten the mood.

    ReplyDelete