window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: What would you buy?

May 25, 2010

What would you buy?

I know that we are all aware of the Strasburg Superfractor, but at the present moment it has 75 bids and is at $15,000. It has gone up 3 times since I looked earlier this evening.

I find this absolutely INSANE. I would really like to hear from some of the bidders if they stumble across this post. For this kind of money you can buy so many other things, like a 1952 Mantle, a car, down payment on a house, school tuition, etc.

Maybe there is someone out there that can explain the logic in plunking down $15,000 on this card. Though, I don't think it will make it make sense to me even if I had the money. Obviously the people that are bidding on this card have disposable cash or income that will afford them this card, and maybe because I don't have that kind of money laying around is why I don't understand this.

I collect one of the most expensive players in baseball, and even his rookie card doesn't come close to selling for this amount of money. Pujols is arguably the best player in MLB, and Pujols AUTOGRAPHED RC doesn't touch this.

What do you guys think of the price of this card? Would you ever consider spending this kind of cash on a card, prospect or PC related?

This is one of the most watched items on eBay right now so for anyone questioning the popularity of baseball card collecting or prospecting, you can rest assured this is not a dying breed of hobbies.

6 comments:

  1. There is nothing that Stephen Strasburg can do to make that a $15,000 card. (Well, maybe if he throws a no-hitter in his ML debut you could flip it and make a small profit...)

    If I had that kind of cash to blow on the hobby, I'd look for nice copies of Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan's rookie cards... then I'd try to figure out what to do with the rest of my cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I don't understand what will make this card WORTH that cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how much a Brien Taylor superfractoid or whatever it's called would have gone for in 1992? And how much it would cost today in comparison?

    If I had $15k, I wouldn't spend much on cards. If any at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but there's something artificially headline grabbing about this for it to be just straight and totally on the up and up.

    And...I don't think that Topps has anything to do with it.

    I'm sure there'd be denials and denials from the buyer and seller, but sorry, I remain skeptical (cynical?) about this being a 100% legitimate thing, considering the amount of other scammy and predatory stuff that goes on in this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If, and that's a big IF, I had this kind of disposable income and I WAS going to spend it on baseball cards, I would aim for high grade vintage.

    Regardless of what Strasburg does, his values will NEVER be this high again (back to back perfect games, maybe), which means his prices have nowhere to go but down.

    At least with high grade vintage you know there is ALWAYS a market, if you need to sell something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going to keep on going up. I seen it on the front page of Yahoo. I do not believe it to be a stunt or a conspiracy, but I would doubt the bidders to all be legit. That card will NEVER produce a profit (other than the original puller of the card).

    ReplyDelete