window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Battle of the Blogs - Fantasy Baseball 2009

January 16, 2009

Battle of the Blogs - Fantasy Baseball 2009

Here is what I am thinking... 10 - 12 teams, first responders get a team when money is received, and I am thinking one team per blog. As far as how much this might cost, I was thinking $20 per blog/team and if anyone has another suggestion I am open to it, but $20 seems reasonable.

Live draft on Yahoo! at a time where we can all be there, probably after 9pm or so. What I was also thinking about was doing a prize from Dave and Adam's with the money, or several prizes, maybe 1st-3rd pays. Or if people would rather have the cash, that's fine also.

Here is what I need from all of you. I need your ideas or suggestions, or what you would like to participate in. We will try and make everyone happy, not that it will work, but we'll try. There will be another post within the next week with all details hammered out after we all get a chance to comment back and forth (I prefer comments as opposed to e-mail so everyone can see each others ideas). The next post will be for the sign-up, this is just for brain storming and getting details.

(Structure of teams, points, and scoring will be discussed later.)

Please let us know what you think.

P.S. It is now 11 degrees out. Temperature is sinking like a rock.

17 comments:

  1. Cool...I'd probably be up for playing. I usually play in 1 or 2 leagues every year, but I'd be willing to play in another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! To throw some initial ideas out there: One slot for each position (3 OF--not designated into LF/CF/RF) and a Utility (DH). Not sure about pitching, maybe 3 SP 2 RP and 2 P? Is that too many spots? Standard stats or more sabermetric-y stats? A mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course. Any stats used must be widely accepted by the backs of 2008 or 2009 baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been planning to start my own fantasy baseball league for bloggers too. It'll be a free one though. I've never been in a paid fantasy baseball league, but I like your idea of the winner getting a card prize at the end. So count me in.

    I like to play in traditional 5x5 leagues with head-to-head scoring and a 25-man roster (C,1B,2B,SS,3B,CI,MI,OF,OF,OF,OF,OF,UTIL, 9 pitchers, 3 bench slots, and 2 DL slots).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't play fantasy baseball, but I'd like to be in the league just to have the opportunity to talk smack to the other bloggers. Ha. Ha.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am up for any league. I like Dave's idea of head-to head. Where can I send my money?

    Oh, will I get a prize for 4th place... That's my standard finishing position.

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll probably be in ... we had one last year for a lot of the bloggers... Chris from Stale Gum won, but then I won the blogger football fantasy league... so let me know when the sign up is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Dave and PRP. I've played in public leagues on Yahoo the past two or three years in head-to-head mode with a similar breakdown in the roster.

    I would be interested, and yes, I'll update my blog and keep it going. I've got ideas I've been banking, and I'm ready to start this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to participate. I'd prefer to use Yahoo as I'm most familiar with it. I think there should be prizes for 2nd and 3rd place at least so that more people have something to shoot for (to keep everyone active.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, having a blog is not mandatory I was saying one per blog in case there are blogs that have 2 or more contributors like ours. I personally like roto style with points, I am not a fan of head to head and neither is Sooz.

    What does everyone think of wax vs. cash? I just thought that maybe a high end box of wax or an agreed upon box or two might be a fun way to get something for $20.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm up for playing. You set the rule and I will follow them. either way is fine by me. Head to head would be cool because then we could make side wagers all year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me in. 12 teams $20 each=$240. Winner takes home $120, second $90, and third $30.

    Do classic 5x5 rotisserie style, because it's more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yahoo's standard format is fine with positions and stats. I prefer head to head just because it seems to keep people interested all year. I've played roto as well and that is okay too. I'm in for whatever. I think the wax would be a very cool idea. My suggestion would be out of the $240, give 3rd place $20 cash, 2nd place would get an $80 box, first place would get a $140 box. I also think teams should contribute another $5 to you guys for paypal charges, shipping charges, running the league, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ive had this idea for a whlie but i am already in 3 pay leagues one being a dynasty league with minor leagues and everything - i promised my wife to never have more than 3 leages

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd be interested as well. I used to play fantasy baseball for years back in the 80s and I was really lousy at it so y'all will want me to play.

    ReplyDelete