window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: 2011 Topps Diamond Sparkle SP's

February 2, 2011

2011 Topps Diamond Sparkle SP's

I thought I would follow up on the earlier post about the Diamond sparkle SP's that are popping up. I think this is a better gimmick idea than most years, however I won't be chasing any of them.

Here are a few I found:

Derek Jeter

Mariano Rivera

Ichiro

Kyle Drabek

Miguel Cabrera

I think eventually these will end up being around a $30 card. There is no way people are going to buy these for $200.

11 comments:

  1. I find this gimmick silly. Not sure what is worse though, last year's pie in the face or this. Leaning towards 2010. I don't see these selling for $60+ either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BINs for those are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly want to see one with the sparkle in the crotch. Just because.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to think that this more of an extremely SP'd parallel set. I would have compared this to the Pie in the Face cards from last year (and was actually going to), but it may be possible that EVERY card has this "sunburst"/"sparkle" variation.

    Sincerely,

    JayBee Anama
    bdj610

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mariebay,

    that will be Ben Roethlisberger's card in the next Topps Football release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to not like Gimmick cards, but I feel like this is particularly bad--worse than the PITF cards.

    My reason is simple: the sparkle is nothing but a unnecessary, contrived addition that doesn't even add to the aesthetics of the card--in most cases it distracts. At least the PITF cards were actually different looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe this will cure people of chasing the Topps super short-print cards?

    Nah...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. If I pulled one of those before reading this post I would have been so confused.

    I like the PITF much better, that happens in baseball, random diamonds, maybe in rappers, not baseball players

    ReplyDelete
  9. Givin' your blog a little advertisement on the sports card forums...

    http://www.sportscardradio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1533&p=15944#p15944

    ReplyDelete
  10. Derek - you made me chuckle with that comment.

    82redbirds - thanks for the shoutout.

    ReplyDelete