window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: No, sir, I don't like it

February 3, 2011

No, sir, I don't like it

Most of what I have seen from 2011 Topps Series 1 I have liked. I personally haven't had any of the cards in my hand, but the majority of people who have seen the cards seem to be enjoying them as well.

Here is something I don't like. I normally don't like manufactured patch cards or anything that falls within that category. I understand why it's done. Card companies try to aim for something different. I like the idea of them taking chances because I think that's needed, but I don't like the concept of manufactured cards.

Why?

Well, then it leads to something like this (credit goes to Stale Gum for pointing these out on Twitter):

2011 Topps Series 1 Stephen Strasburg EXPOS manufactured patch (To the guy selling his for $40 ... good luck).


I know the Nationals used to be the Montreal Expos, but the boy wonder never played for the team. I don't like the 'what if' game. Not in real life. Not on my baseball cards either.

Reminder: Don't forget to check out our live case break tonight of 2011 Topps Series 1. Will be on Ustream

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I could not disagree more. I love that card and I love that they're acknowledging the history of the franchise.

    That was his franchises logo in 1982. There's nothing what iffy about that to me at all.

    I'm looking forward to the break tonight, should be fun to watch. I tried to get in but apparently paypal doesn't accept credit cards anymore...but that's a rant for another day.

    Anyway, should be fun to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I like it. Expos cards are never a bad thing. And there's a Hunter Pence Colt 45s manupatch, so it isn't something exclusive to The Stras (TM).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like manupatches either. They look nice sometimes, but they tend to have a ridiculous element that you mention here.

    Topps plays the "what-if" game entirely too much. I prefer reality.

    Plus, a lot of them look like they were stitched by grandma and should be sold in the Yarn Barn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we're missing the point of the card. At least from what I can gather from the scans, this year's commemorative patches feature current players with a commemorative logo of their franchise's history. I'm not sure what exactly, but I guess that's for the back of the card to explain.

    This no different than the David Wright w/ NY Giants patch or the Shin Soo Choo with the Cleveland Naps.

    I think that we're so busy looking for "gimmicks" these days, that we're missing what may be a legitimate card concept. Not having one of these in my hands, I couldn't say for sure, but it certainly seems that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pulled a Tommy Hanson Boston Braves logo patch from the lone blaster I bought and I love it. It helps I'm a Braves fan I suppose. As a whole I don't have a problem with the cards, but I don't usually gravitate to them and collect them either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like cards because everyone has such a difference in opinion about them.

    I just don't care for the manu pathces as a whole. They've been around for a few years now and I just don't care for them.

    There is a lot I do like about Topps Series 1. This is just not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it doesn't bother you that it is an expos patch, you just don't like manufactured patches in general?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this case, it's a little bit of both. I don't like manu patches, but I don't care for the card either.

    I think, however, you may be right in the sense that I missed the point. As a stand alone card, I don't like it. But it's relevant as part of a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post really needed a picture of Mr. Horse to go with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colbey--out of curiousity, what does the back of your card say? What does it commemorate?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do I find the UStream feed? Excited to see lots of Metsies coming my way tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is the franchise history, and I wonder if any Oriole will acknowledge the St. Louis Browns. They sure as heck won't acknowledge the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers. And I bet that Mariano Rivera won't have a patch from the 1902 Baltimore Orioles, either.

    I would also love to have a Cardinals patch with the 1887 St. Louis Browns of the AA. Perhaps a von der Ahe beer stein? (As you know, that franchise moved to the NL, became horrific, and then changed its name...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I'm with Mrs. Jeter on this one. I don't like the "Throwback" patches for the modern guys, just seems forced, like the 4th of July ones last year.

    But I really like the Manu-Logoman patches they did in various products last year that were #d to 50. They look great in person!

    ReplyDelete