window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: It's not wood afterall

July 21, 2010

It's not wood afterall

For years, when I saw the Allen and Ginter wood mini cards, I assumed they were made out of wood. Little wood chips the size of a regular mini with the picture on front. I don’t even think I thought there was a back to the cards.

I saw a Kevin Kouzmanoff for sale right before I went on vacation last week. I sniped that sucker and made sure I won it. I received the card the day before I left for vacation.

I tore into it quickly all the while thinking, how cool this wood chip card is going to be.

But it’s not wood. Since I have never seen one of these cards in person before, I really had no idea these cards weren’t really wood. It’s just cardboard - not that there is a problem with cardboard.

This card is just a regular mini from Allen and Ginter with a wood-tint finish on the front. They could really make the front any hue they want this way, but they chose wood and for years I went on thinking these were actual wood cards.

I’m not disappointed that I own another Kouz 1/1, but I was definitely disappointed to learn that this wasn’t real wood. … There are so many jokes I could make here, but I am just going to end this post in saying, yes, I like wood.



Click Here

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's sad. I always thought the same thing that you did: that the front of the card was printed on a thin wood and then affixed to regular cardboard on the back, or something like that.

    It's a major disappointment for me to learn that's not the case. Probably a major-er disappointment for you, as the proud owner of a new wood-but-not-really card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what you're saying is....the only true wood A&G card would be Kerry Wood? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was like you and Grand Cards, so now I too know the ugly truth. Next thing you'll be telling me that there's no Santa Claus...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just like that, the dream is dead. I, too, assumed the cards were made of wood. The wood 'finish' is an absurdly simple 'effect' to use.

    I don't like getting older and seeing the 'truth' behind this industry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered that myself - though it seemed to be too easy to know if there was a wood card inside any given rip card due to the extra weight. I guess I now know why you can't use weight to tell whether or not the contained mini is a wood card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh, there were wood laminate cards all over the place in the '90s and early '00s. They were fragile and ugly, but still cool. I'm somewhat disappointed by this revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the same thing when I pulled the only one I have:

    http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-i-didnt-get-at-card-show.html

    You even commented on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nightowl, I'm getting old. My memory is not what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting -- Topps used wood for some "hardwood" basketball inserts in stad club in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete