window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: First Look: Mayo Baseball Inserts

March 11, 2009

First Look: Mayo Baseball Inserts

I had to return something at Target today and as luck would have it they finally got in some 2009 Topps Heritage packs, still no blasters though. I contained myself and only picked 2 packs, those being the 2 packs on the bottom of the box. The box was still full so I figured I had a chance at something since the box wasn't searched. I ended up pulling 1 chrome card of Beltran, which I didn't scan and 2 Mayo inserts.

The Mayo cards are cool looking to me, however I feel like they are a little too dark. They could have lightened the pictures just a tad, especially the A-Rod one. This looks like it would be a fun subset to put together, but I am not going to be trying to do that. My only concern is finding the Pujols one, if there is one in the set (I haven't checked a checklist yet). Topps gets an A from me for a cool subset that doesn't look like everything else we have all seen already.





I scanned the back so if anyone is curious they can see what they look like. The pack states that 'Target Continuity' cards are 1:4 packs so I guess I lucked out going 2/2. I don't plan on trading either of these cards because I like Braun, and well A-Rod is still A-Rod. There were no dark backs in either pack, I figured there wouldn't be because normally that kind of stuff is hobby exclusive.

I am crossing my fingers for blasters to surface soon because I want one so badly. I haven't picked up one blaster in 2009, and believe me or ask Suzy when I say that is a major feat for me. I used to get them almost daily and kept a stockpile in my room for rainy days.

13 comments:

  1. I assume that's a retail only insert. These actually look pretty nice, it's a shame they relegated it to just retail. Topps is doing some strange things with retail this year. I guess they're trying to keep retailers selling their products. The local Walmart completely took down their sports card section. So no more packs or blasters from Walmart for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those cards...it seems the vast majority of the "retail specific" cards from the past two years have been quite good - good enough to collect even! I wonder why they put such effort into the retail scene though when it's the hobby shops that (seemingly) need the help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pujols is in another version of the set. Either the WalMart of the jumbo pack inserts. You can see him here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some dude has the Pujols one on eBay, stating "only found in Heritage Jumbo packs". He has it priced at $14.99 because it's rare (yeah, ok). I saw the auction that you got the pic from handcollated, and that is more reasonable at $2.99.

    Flash- the Walmart close to me has never had baseball cards, and the closest Walmart from my house is about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hold the phones on this one, there is a dark pack in the cards I got. So not just a hobby thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job plucking the A-Rod and Hebrew Hammer Mayos. Looks like I will be stopping at Tar-jay today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark backs? Not sure what you're talking about - I opened two hobby boxes and every card had a standard back (although the short print backs are slightly different).

    I'll probably try to pick up these Mayo cards on eBay - that'll be much more cost effective than dumping more money down the Target or Wal Mart toilet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The backs on the short print cards are darker than the base. That's what she is referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think the mayo inserts are those exclusive "target continuity card" insets featured 1 in 4 packs ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actaully, the auction I got the pic from was the whole set for 19.99. Not sure if I should have jumped on it or not at this point. Maybe once the "oh it's new and shiny and I want want want" phase of eBay wears off the prices will come back down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last year's Heritage set had "black back" cards in both hobby and retail. Not sure how this year's variations/SPs compare to last since I have yet to see Heritage anywhere around here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look awesome! I am in the process of tracking down a Hamilton for my PC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I end up coming across a Hamilton, I will let you know. I am itching to go back to Target, but I am sure the one lonely box they had is long gone.

    ReplyDelete