window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Hey, casual collector ... Guess what you can't have?

December 21, 2010

Hey, casual collector ... Guess what you can't have?


I lump myself into the category of a casual collector. I don't buy a ton of product and mostly chase the singles of the players I want when a product comes out.

But I do like to bust boxes of product in hopes that I can get a cool card or even something that I might be able to flip for money. I know those times are few and far in between, but it's why so many of  us still play the lotto. The odds aren't in your favor, but you can always dream.

The image of this Bryce Harper card was released today. It's part of Topps' 60th Anniversary roll out.

It's a cool card. If I hit it, I am not sure I would sell or keep. But I am never going to hit it. I am 100 percent sure of that.

This card is exclusive to 2010 Bowman Sterling Baseball.

I can't afford that. One hobby box of 2010 Bowman Sterling, which is set the be released in January costs $237.50. You can get six packs with five cards per pack. You essentially get 20 hits per box with a bunch of autos. But I can't afford high-end products.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Anyway, I do like the card. I just wish it was more readily available to casual collectors or at least I wish we had a shot at getting it.

I wish I wasn't so negative about it. There are 180 total Harper autographs with three different inscriptions. I would like to be excited about this, I really would. But I just get disappointed when such a cool card is out of my reach.

7 comments:

  1. Join the club. Too bad they don't put stuff like this in Topps Opening Day. How awesome would it be to pull something like that out of a dollar pack? Dream on. Although I pulled a Peyton Manning Auto #d to 10 from Score football this year so even the blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Nice to see your back Sooz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's been a crazy few weeks for me. Trying to get back into the flow of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll be the anti-Harper. I really have no interest in collecting his stuff, mainly due to interviews I've seen and heard with him. That said, it does suck this card is in such an expensive box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casual collectors aren't profitable.

    Topps has made that abundantly clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a category for advanced casual collector? I don't buy a ton of product, save for blasters, rack packs and chasing the singles I need for my Yankees, Teixeira and Tino PC's. I trade mostly anything that's not Yankee related, so something like this would be just trade bait for me. With the way the economy is, I think its crazy to pay that much for a pack of cards. That's why I never really buy Sterling or Triple Threads, etc. Its not that I wouldn't like to. Its just that I'm not a rich man and that sort of money can be put to better use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you were to spend that kind of money for that product, it's probably better to just buy the card off of the lucky person to get it. Then your odds are 100% even though it's gonna cost you. I don't know, I'm a pretty serious collector, but for my personal collection I stick with Topps series 1 & 2, Update, and Allen & Ginter. For investing, I'll just try to buy low off of eBay when it comes to individual cards from Chrome or higher end like Platinum. Playing roulette with a $237 box....definitely crazy in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cause collector or collector on a budget. But I hope I do pull one, so I can over-charge someone. Italics for sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete