window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Beginners Luck?

December 3, 2010

Beginners Luck?

Recently I have been dabbling with basketball cards to fill the void left by the lack of baseball cards being released. Well, more like the lack of affordable baseball cards being released. I haven't been buying much because of the holidays and trying to buy presents, but when I have been in the mall if I got some presents for others I grabbed a cheap pack or rack pack for myself. I should reward myself for being jolly, right?

Anywho, I picked up a rack pack of 2010-2011 Panini Presitge a week or so ago and pulled this card:
Jordan Crawford auto /499



I have never pulled an autograph out of a rack pack of baseball, and RARELY if ever, pulled one from a retail pack of baseball. That was fun, I should buy people stuff more often.

Yesterday, I was in Target and just wandering around before grabbing some dinner and saw a FRESH box of 2010-2011 Panini Rookies & Stars, so I grabbed the second to last pack on the right and high tailed it to the checkout. Bada bing!

Daniel Orton 1/5 !!!!!!!!


Ok, so now I am convinced this isn't normal for being a basketball collector. There is hardly any chance of this happening on a regular basis, although if it could, I may seriously get into basketball cards. Serial numbered 1/5 in a retail pack?!!! Come on.

So for all you basketball collectors out there, is this luck or do you find that you get more out of basketball packs than baseball?

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a plot to lure you down into yet another hole of card collecting.

    awesome to see cool stuff come out of racks though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are def nice pulls. I can't say that two hits per pack/rack pack are common and certainly not a 1 of 5, but I always seem to pull a jersey or auto'd card from packs of basketball product. I've bought packs of Prestige and Threads last year and pulled jersey and auto'd cards. Nothing out of R&S.

    Better than I can say for baseball product. I never pull anything. Even the base cards I get a rough.

    However, It just goes to show, you don't need to but cases and cases to pull something decent. Although if I could buy a case or two, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some great luck in basketball pack buying. Got a Frazier jersey form a 1.59 discount pack at Target and even in the higher end stuff from a pack of UD Radiance a Jordan on-card auto. {Problem is for me basketball is my fourth favorite sport so the cards don't do a whole lot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!

    Basketball packs have always had more GU/autos in retail and hobby and you're nailing 'em.

    And Crawford is a big YouTube hit for dunking on LBJ awhile back. But his shot vs. K-State last year was better. Game of the Year IMO. Plus, Gus Johnson announcing it makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete