window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: As the blogosphere turns...

September 4, 2009

As the blogosphere turns...

Recently it seems like there is some sort of non-existent competition between the "real" media, and us lowly bloggers who know nothing about the hobby. It kinda makes me wonder if the next issue of the "hobby magazine" will include coupons for tampons and beauty tips. We as the community of consumers who choose to buy or not buy cards, magazines, and supplies should just take things for face value and not support those outlets or companies that seem to think we don't deserve a voice.

Don't get me wrong, I really have read very little into this whole situation and would love to hear the story from someone who knows it better than I currently do. What I do know is that certain "real" media outlets have their thongs in a twist over getting beat to a story. What is the big f#$#ing deal? "Real" media is always in competition to get the story out first, be it on tv, news, newspaper, whatever- point is no one is ever alone in reporting on an issue or a story.

If certain people have some sort of issue with the blogosphere beating them to things, well don't go to bed at 9p.m. and you won't miss the late night news.

See now I'm being a girl and gossiping. Problem is, you would expect that of a woman.... yet I couldn't give a s@#$ less about who says what first. Get a life. Sure, if Sooz or myself hear something and it's breaking news that we don't see elsewhere we try and get it up as soon as possible. If we missed it, well guess what? We lose, and then guess what we do? We get over it.

I'm done being a twa... about this because I really don't care.

P.S. Some of you find my tweets about random things and wanting to hate something new funny so I figured you would all get a chuckle out of my two cents. If not... oh well.

8 comments:

  1. "News" is for people who give s shit...

    I am not one of those people. As a blogger, I try to entertain others, which i hope I do a decent enough job of.

    There is more than enough room for multiple hobby "news" sources, and usually no one remembers where they read it first anyway, since every "news source" posts the same information anyway. Who gives a flying eff who got there first.

    GET OVER IT! (not you personally Marie...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. We all end up posting the same news just with a different opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the "traditional" media and a blogger, about all I have to say on this is: people get way too fired up over establishing a difference between the two.

    "Traditional" media has a place. "Blogging" has a place. Sometimes the two overlap in their objectives and goals.

    But coming out and trying to draw a line between the two is asking for trouble. I mean, there is even a vast difference between blogs. Some try to break news, some don't. So I don't see how you can lump everyone into one category.

    As for me, getting information to people is my job. Since it is so second-nature, some of that seeps into my blog, but really, my blog is for entertainment -- mine and anyone else who might be interested. I have no interest in competing with traditional media or any blog that breaks hobby news. Blogging is simply a relaxing outlet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Night Owl, I agree. This is a hobby and I try to relax with it also.Like Beardy,I don't worry too much about the newsy (real word ?) side.I just watch to see when new baseball products come out so I can look for Tribe cards.And I could care less about team logos on the cards (we'll have to wait and see how the Upper Deck deal turns out).I just love the game of baseball and the Indians,no matter how bad they play,and want to collect as many different Tribe cards as I can find in the rest of my lifetime.Which is only going to be shorter if I worry about all that other "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is no different than the argument between printed newspapers and online media. The fact is, print media as a whole is seriously outdated as a 'breaking news' source. As for the online versions of those sources, it is no different than when TMZ is the first to announce MJ's death. News breaks when it breaks, and if I know something before a 'traditional' outlet, so what? I think they called that "scooping" in the old days...

    I say those media sources need to put on their big girl panties and hire better reportes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. big girl panties aren't sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People have way to much spare time on their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Night Owl:
    ""Traditional" media has a place. "Blogging" has a place. Sometimes the two overlap in their objectives and goals.

    But coming out and trying to draw a line between the two is asking for trouble. I mean, there is even a vast difference between blogs. Some try to break news, some don't. So I don't see how you can lump everyone into one category."

    You said it perfectly right there. I'm not a blogger, just a reader/commenter. Also a former member of the media. At the last newspaper I worked at, we counted among our competitors three television stations, three radio stations and two local bloggers, just in our "A" coverage area. You get beat to a story? You work to cover the story better, and you try not to let it happen again.

    ReplyDelete