window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Joey Votto: Before and After cards

May 29, 2009

Joey Votto: Before and After cards

I have been trying to clean my desk off since there are about 12 piles of 300-400 cards stacked all over it, and was putting some in boxes and others in my binders. Votto is one of the players that go in my "Rookie" binder. Players that I like start there and after a season or 3 move into another binder to call home (this is providing they don't mail it in and suck).

At any rate, I was putting a 2009 UD Series 2 Votto away when I noticed through the 9pocket sheet that the same card was behind it, or was it? This is what I was seeing, a 2008 UD Timeline SP of Votto.



Now I know I have said before that these companies use the same photo's and so have many other blogs, but I just figured it was worth pointing out. I never actually checked all my Pujols cards to see if any were blatantly obvious like this one. I think the jersey in this photo makes it even worse.

I am still trying to find the bottom of my desk. There are small patches that are clear but not enough. I want to open something here, but I feel like I should try and put away some stuff first. Collecting is messy sometimes.

8 comments:

  1. That same card is used in 2009 APOH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, of course it is the same. Why would they use different photo's and use some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't the photos at least at different angles? The baserunner is in a different position -- although Votto's expression is the same. ]confusion[

    ReplyDelete
  4. My interpretation was Votto was running in for a bunt and the runner was taking a lead, or possibly two photographers at different angles but from the same general area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely different photo (the glove is at slightly differt angles). I do concur two photographers with a slightly offset point-of-view of Votto and the same play only a split second or so apart in time, because of the same baserunner depicted and Votto's same facial expression.

    Judging by the position of the baserunner in the photos, I don't think it's just one photographer with a very quick rapid-fire shutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, however my problem is why use these several times when it is so obvious that they were taken seconds apart?

    $8 per hobby pack gets you the same pics from the year before. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet part of the problem is the novelty jersey Votto's wearing. UD was probably like, "We need to use that picture, it has the unique jersey!" So, they looked at the proof, saw that it hadn't been used before, and were excited. They didn't check to see that a similar shot was already used. Probably three different designers all thinking they got a great unique shot of Votto in the fatigues, without ever talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete