window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: K-Mart bargain blaster hit

May 6, 2009

K-Mart bargain blaster hit

In a blog from last week I told everyone that my local K-Mart had a big sale on 2008 products, and that I had picked up among other things a 2008 Goudey blaster for $10.99. Since my pillowcases and blanket are still in the dryer I decided to break it because I can't go to bed anyway. I decided to see if I could tell if any packs felt differently than others so if I did I could save that pack for last. They all felt exactly the same to me, what do I know.

Here is what I ended up with (just highlighting the better cards):

2 Yankee Stadium Legacy cards


Sport Royalty Magic Johnson (black back), Steve Carlton (black back), James K. Polk (black back), and Ichiro (green back)


Mini Sport Royalty Jack Nicklaus (Red back), Brooks Robinson mini (red back), Wayne Gretzky Hit Parade of Champions


and....... drumroll please.........

1934 Goudey Original Buyback of Baxter Jordan of the Boston Braves.



My expectations of this blaster were not very high, I figured maybe a GU card at most and bought it mostly for Yankee Stadium Legacy and the chance at an auto. Not in a million years would I have expected to pull a buyback that only came one per case (at least that's what I remember when we opened ours). I'm happy even though I have no idea who he is.

I'm not really sure what I plan on doing with all these base cards since I don't need any of them. I was thinking of sending them out for TTM's when I decide to actual follow through on sending any, or maybe I'll trade some for cards I want.

I do know that I now desperately want to go back to K-Mart, but lightning doesn't strike the same place twice which is why the last Heritage blaster I bought was the one with the Mat Gamel auto /60.

18 comments:

  1. Holy crap. That's an amazing hit. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be at Kmart TODAY! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Who would have thought that would show up at K-Mart. Great pull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How comes my K-Mart isn't part of the bargain blaster universe?

    nice vintage Goudey that rocks!

    If one thinks 09 Goudey is U-G-L-Y ugly would they buy a bargain blaster a year from now??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's just about all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should never buy another hobby box again

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card is actually in really good condition which amazed me even more. I don't know what I am going to end up doing with it, but I like it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card. I have only gotten YSL cards--which I just trade to you! I may need some of those SP's

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to drive to this K-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should verify that that was a damn of excitement. Awesome pull!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE that Goudey buy back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Duane- Let me know if you need any, I will put them aside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree - wow! Thanks for the post. I'm going to go to the K-Mart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. K-Mart still has cards! Wow! Even the Wal-Marts areound me are starting to phase out their card isles.

    I also need a few of those Goudeys. Check my site: http://sruchris.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mojo must have worn off on you Marie LoL. Insane pull. If that pack was A lottery ticket you would be a Millionaire no doubt.

    777


    The Mojo Hand

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the risk of railroading from that unbelievable buyback, if the Ichiro B&W is for trade, I'd be interested.

    I checked my local KMart tonight - pretty much solid Upper Deck First Edition cards. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice!! A case hit in a bargain blaster!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete