window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: eBay is a waiting game

May 9, 2009

eBay is a waiting game

I'd like to preface this post with one of our favorite youtube finds from way back. There are so many video versions of this, but the lyrics are the same, and so are most pictures. I crack up every time I hear this.



There are so many methods of going about deciding which auction you want to go after on eBay. You can just search for the Buy-It-now items for instant joy, or even do a search of just store listings to buy things immediately and from the same sellers to save money on shipping. One of my favorites, type in exactly what you need and put a whole bunch of the same things in your watch list, this way if one goes out of budget you just move onto the next. Then there's sniping. We've all done it, so don't try to hide it.

For me most of them involve which one is the cheapest, and not so much which one can I win right now. There's no point in going for the cards that end right away because the gratification of winning is still days away in the mail. I have been looking for one last card out of the 2009 Topps Series 1, and I say the last one because I refuse to spend $20 or more on a black parallel of Pujols.

So I have been playing the watch and wait game. The card I needed was being sold by many in Buy-It-Now type listings for $4+ and I really didn't want spend that much so I figured I would just wait until everyone bought them and there was no one left to fight with.

Did I luck out by waiting?! I needed gold parallel #4 of Pujols, Jones, Holliday and that is precisely what I picked up the other night with a few minutes left in the auction for...... click here to yell Hooray with me. For those of you who don't have any interest in clicking, I got you. I paid $0.49 for a gold card. Yeah!

Now I'm off to update my want list since I can finally remove that card.

Maybe waiting isn't the hardest part.

8 comments:

  1. theres this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-TOPPS-BLACK-PARALLEL-ALBERT-PUJOLS-58_W0QQitemZ250413225266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item3a4dca9532&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
    and this

    http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Topps-Black-4-C-Jones-Albert-Pujols-Holliday-58_W0QQitemZ270342370962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item3ef1a93692&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I refuse to spend $20 or more on a black parallel of Pujols."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially like the part at the en where the seller reminds you that your shipping fee is supposed to also cover his ebay and paypal fees. That's not what "handling" means.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I tell you I never even read it? But to me it's funny now. For 49 cents, he can have his $2.50.

    How funny is that video?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great video. I've always loved Weird Al. He does the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice video, nice ebay win.... I would have played the waiting game too, its not like that card was rare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i believe it is a waiting game too. I hate when people bid hours even days before it ends. it highers the price A LOT!

    ReplyDelete