window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Prices Soaring on Everything

April 15, 2011

Prices Soaring on Everything

Recently I had posted about our 2011 Gypsy Queen case being delayed until April 27th, and so I began to mill around eBay and Blowout Cards looking at the current case prices on baseball pre-sells and current releases.

Now, I don't know how many of you make a habit of checking prices on occasion but I find myself doing that here and there. I got a message from Flash saying that Tribute was well over $400 per box, I had to go look with my own eyes and sure enough there are boxes for well over that on eBay.

When I went to go see how much Gyspy Queen is currently is currently, I was absolutely amazed. It is currently over $1,200 per case. I sure am happy that we decided on putting a deposit down early on this case, that is for sure.



Here are a couple of more to check out if you want to see how the price is skyrocketing.

- 2011 Bowman

- 2011 Pro Debut (note the card in the picture appears to be a chopped up Aflac auto... what a waste)

- 2011 Heritage

- 2011 Allen & Ginter

The current prices of boxes and cases is a clear indication of what a monopoly over the sport will do to products. I don't feel like the prices are the same way with other sports, but my expertise is very limited to baseball with a little dabbling in other things on occasion. I honestly can't remember boxes being this expensive as pre-sells, except for Bowman. There was a ridiculous mark-up last year because of Strasburg, and this year it is because of Harper. I can visualize it in my head now, thousands upon thousands of base cards, inserts, and parallels from the 2011 Bowman in the garbage because no one cares about those cards. Same thing will happen with Pro Debut.

But $1200 a case for Ginter? I mean really, half the cards are of objects, poor drawings, boring design. What is the draw here? That I could pull an autograph of a boxer? Big freaking deal, that was the reason I only bought a single box of Co-Signers when that was out. Why would I buy a "baseball" product to end up pulling freaking match worn boxing trunks? Dumb. Ginter = dumb and overpriced.

Maybe it's because baseball cards are more popular that the prices are so high. All I know is that the one company producing cards thing is making it incredibly unaffordable unless you find an auction on eBay where people fell asleep, or aren't sniping.

Or maybe I'm just cheap.

8 comments:

  1. Topps cut up Aflac cards last year as well for Pro Debut cut cards. I'm wondering if a bunch of cards got damaged or something along those lines because I pulled a Christian Colon cut card that was numbered to 200 copies of a card where only 49 copies were released into packs. That doesn't make sense at all unless the corners were destroyed on a bunch of cards.

    It's a smart move no matter the reason on Topps behalf. Why release a card serial numbered to 500 copies when you can release two different versions numbered to 250? Each of those cards deliver more "value" and also would probably sell for more on eBay.

    As far as the increase in prices go, there's a reason why I stayed away form most new products last year. I'll stick with buying singles and older wax boxes. Building sets has lost much of the appeal to me that it once had with all of the short prints and other ways to artificially inflate the price of base cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those AFLAC cards are undoubtedly getting chopped up because Topps can't legally release them any other way.

    I blame Bryce Harper, licensing & manufacturing costs for the price run-ups more than the Topps monopoly, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, the Taillon card was previously released in packs of Bowman. All that Topps has to do is wait until the player on the card makes his major league debut and then they can do whatever they want with it. It's very similar to what they did with their McDonald's All-American cards in basketball. They'd get them signed at the game and then hold onto them until the player was drafted and then insert them into packs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the real problem I have with cutting up the Alflac cards or any card like it is that the player can still sign ANOTHER card.

    I have zero interest in buying a chopped card from a year ago of any player unless they no longer with us.

    As far as using damaged cards to make them, there in an ideal world, shouldn't be any. Or they should be re-issued at the factory immediately.

    I just think cut signature cards should be reserved for people like Mickey Mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing with the Aflac cards is that they're a one time thing and can't be reprinted to be replaced. These cards are printed and signed when the player participates in the Aflac Futures game itself and then held until they are released in packs. If they were to get damaged in transit or in storage then that's it for those cards.

    I'm not a huge fan of cut signature cards for living people either, but if Topps is using damaged cards for these then it is a little more understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reusing damaged cards instead of circulating them is a great way to recycle them. Wonder when they'll create the franken-card where they piecemeal a bunch together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The case of 2011 Bowman is up $75 in little over three weeks from Blowout Cards. I was thinking of putting a down payment on one, but was afraid I wouldn't have the money when it came time. I wonder if the 'Bowman will turn out like last year; hard to find and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. paw75 - I wanted to to a case break of that on the blog, but even the discounted quote I got was too expensive. We will end up with more for the money out of the Gypsy Queen, especially for the price I locked in at.

    ReplyDelete