window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: 2009 Topps T206 Packs

November 30, 2009

2009 Topps T206 Packs

I don't really know why I needed these, then again who knows why I buy half the things I do but I picked up some packs. Target doesn't have any blasters yet, so I ended up at the local hobby type shop that I normally hate. However, I think perhaps me and the manager/owner have turned a new leaf over the course of the last 2 or 3 trips.

I went to pick up some of these cards and the packs were inside the case, and there were only 6 left. I looked at him and said, "how many hits per box, and how many packs per box?" Once it was determined that the hits were 1/7 roughly, I decided my luck wouldn't help me here and to buy 2 packs. Then.... he offered to open a new box so I can take whichever packs I wanted. Happy day! Day turned to night, night turned to day, and 2 packs turned into 6 packs.

The excitement was better when the cards were still in the packs. While the cards are cool simply because they are retro, and I like retro, I think I am going to stick with buying the cards I need for a buck on eBay or trading for them. I opened 6 packs from a fresh sealed box and essentially got air. There was only 1 card that made me happy, and it was a Francisco Cervelli RC.

The design of the cards is what you would expect of a vintage design, bland and boring with the player picture. The oddest looking card I got was Ian Kinsler, and why they chose this pose for a card I will never know but you will see it when you scroll down.

The Medlen card was a Polar Bear back, the rest Piedmont.



There are 7 checklists, I got #1, and #5

Well, now I can't blame the store for my crappy pack picking luck. I picked the bottom 3 packs from each side of the box and got owned. Next time I will try my luck in the middle, although I am not buying anymore of these... or so I said....

Anyone break any boxes of T206?

11 comments:

  1. The more I look at these cards, the more I dislike them ... they remind me of what Topps produced just four years ago -- the same exact set. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just not crazy about these. I want to like them. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kinsler card appears to be a re-staging of the 1965 Topps Carl Yastrzemski card. Why they did this I don't know. Is Kinsler a Yaz fan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least Kinsler caught the ball....

    ReplyDelete
  5. They used the same pose for Johjima on the 2006 Bowman Heritage release.

    Hopefully, the general consensus of this set will be bad and I can pick up the White Sox cards on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you'll be fine for white sox cards in the 2009 t206 version as I was able to get a complete t206 set in the early 2000's reasonably a few weeks after release.

    I see a few listings already for team sets, including white sox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You determine the odds are 1 in 7 and you buy 6 packs? Huh? I can only imagine what was in that seventh pack (cough, Albert).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally like vintage sets, but these are leaving me cold. I'm not really sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, they were 5 bucks a pack and I knew already that I would pick whatever packs that had nothing. It's my specialty. If Sooz was with me, I'd have made her pick 8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I only buy things in even numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping to beat your "air" packs, I decided to take my own advice and buy 7 packs today from a freshly opened box. My luck was slightly better than yours as I pulled a NNO SP (1:4), a Polar Bear mini (1:10) and an Old Mill mini (1:20).

    ReplyDelete