window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Set Collectors... Look out!

May 16, 2011

Set Collectors... Look out!

Many of the set collectors I have met through blogging have told me that they put some sets into binders while other sets go into boxes, or they put them all into binders since they only collect certain sets each year.

Now it appears Topps has called the set collector by making binders specifically for sets, designed just like (but not exactly like) the product box. While I like the idea, you may want to let your machine answer the call from Topps on this one. They look pretty cool, but.... do you really want to pay how much for a 3-ring binder? Not so much. Oh but wait! They come with 10 9-pocket sheets as a bonus.... Nope, still not biting. Maybe if it came with a BOX of 9-pocket sheets I would bit the bullet. Click below to see the price on insanity.

2011 Topps Heritage Binder


I guess they figure if you can afford a complete set, you can afford to put it into the "proper" binder. Or maybe you are OCD about your card storage (like me sometimes) then you will see this and order it just because it "belongs" in that binder. They are available from Topps eBay store and from Topps online store only.

2011 Topps Binder



Did anyone else know these existed? What do you guys think of this?

I can tell you this much, I won't be buying one unless they cut the price in half because these are more like a $6-$8 product. Plus, you can get 10 9-pocket sheets for a buck at a card shop so where is the "bonus", Topps?

12 comments:

  1. I saw these last year for the 2010 Topps Set. I noticed that they're 2.5" binders. You could get Topps Series 1 & 2 into one binder but probably not any insert sets or the update series along with them. They look nice but there's no way I'm buying 2 or 3 binders at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience in the non-sport side of trading cards introduced me to the concept of set-specific binders about a decade ago. In fact, I have a few. While it's true we can go to the store and buy a binder for about $7 and make our own labels, these look much more professional on a shelf. Will I buy them? No, because I don't keep my Topps sets in binders, and I don't do Heritage. At about $20 a pop, it's comparable in price to the non-sport binders. My only issue is that it should come with the number of pages necessary to hold the complete set, or knock a buck off the price and don't put in any pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend about $8 for 3" heavy duty D-ring binders -- if they were roughly that price, and were "generic" (ie: that Heritage one doesn't specify the year) I'd consider it. I only collect team sets, so I'd like to put multiple years in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There used to be a company that sold binders for each card set for a WHOLE LOT MORE THAN $17. I don't collect sets so I don't have to worry about it.

    I hate how much binders cost in general. Luckily I found a law office that was closing and bought 8 6" binders for $30. (Hated spending that much even) Just one of these is $30 at Office Max. How did I find them? Craigslist of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $16.95 isn't that bad of a price. The shipping is what's stupid. $8. Get real.

    But non sports cards have been doing this for years and years. And they are usually $24.95 for each binder. However you normally get a special relic card or auto card only available by buying the binder.

    With topps, you get ten 9 card sheets. That's topps alright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sure beats cutting up a box and putting that on the front and spine. Just looked and shipping is $4.95 on one and $8 on another. Have the same amount of pages. Good thin% Topps reads you guys :)
    And yes, I ordered 3 of the regular Tops. One fir series 1 and 2, one for complete insert sets and one for Updates and a Heritage binder. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a little expensive... but I'd pick one up if they made a binder for the 1983 Topps baseball set.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea...poor execution...ridiculous price tag when you factor in shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah totally not worth it. Why don't they come up with a way to store book cards instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too much, especially since I work for an organization that was closing up buildings and electronifying most of their records. I have eight or ten boxes of six binders each - all 3"+ D rings. (Anyone in the Frederick, MD area that needs some?)

    I rather like creating spine labels and cover pictures myself...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always enjoyed my cards into binders, but as my collection approached 1 million cards, this became impractical. So I now only store pre-1977 cards, cards of my favorite teams, and star doubles in binders. Singles all go into the appropriate sized set box. However, I am in organization freak, and I would gladly put my sets into these kind of binder if I could afford them. I currently buy ALL my binders at thrift stores for 25-75 cents each and have a few hundred of them. Hopefully the price will come down and there will be more sets or I will have to cut back on buying cards just to buy the binders to put them in. Happy hunting collectors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that has nothing to do with this post mr anonymous LOL

    ReplyDelete