window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: The return of the atomic refractor

May 23, 2011

The return of the atomic refractor

I realize I may be a little late on this (and I am), but I have to talk about the return of the atomic refractor by Topps.

When I initially opened Bowman, I didn't care for the base cards and some of the inserts. My eyes immediately opened widely, however, when I saw a Bowman's Best insert. They are so pretty. 

Atomic refractors were widely popular in the 1990s. It was probably the best parallel you could pull from a pack - unlike now where I presume the superfractor reigns supreme (but I personally like the Gold and Blue). 

This morning - in one of my bouts of procrastination - I found pretty Derek Jeter cards.



Immediately, I noticed the price. $1,199!!!! Just for a Bowman's Best insert. That's when I saw the words though - Atomic. Refractor. Topps made atomic refractors 1/1 in this year's set. So, I won't ever own this card, but I'm OK with that. Really. I promise. 

There are other refractors also with Bowman's Best. According to Beckett's database, there are regular refractors /99 and x-fractors /25. That Jeter x-fractor is already going for $55 right now. 

Here are some other atomic refractors to make their way into circulation. 



3 comments:

  1. I like the new versions but still love the old ones better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new versions. The Jeter is crazy priced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it! Dang it! Dang It! Why didn't I save some of my tax refund and/or part of a paycheck so I could have gotten my own case of 2011 Bowman. I knew I should have done it. $65 per box at the case price would have beaten the $90 to $100 most hobby stores are charging now. Forget retail, there is a Wal-Mart in half donkey town and they barely got Heritage. GQ and now Bowman have yet to reach the shelf at Hell-Mart. I figure something out. Either win a scratch off or knock over a Brinks truck, so I can go to Marty's Cards to pay close to $9 a pack for QG and $4 a pack for Bowman which isn't that bad unless, he sees me pull and changes the price.

    Enough venting... Super Nice cards!

    ReplyDelete