window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: How do you keep up with your want list?

March 1, 2010

How do you keep up with your want list?

I'm pretty sure my system for updating my want list sucks. I attempt to do so every 2 months, or when there is something I remember to put on there. I updated it tonight and realized I hadn't looked at it since January 6th, which is terrible.

I don't know if it's because collecting Albert Pujols is complicated with 54 variations of most of his cards, or just because I am lazy that I don't update more often or more completely. I have been saying for probably 2 years that I am going to go back and add all the early years of Pujols, as well as the older cards of all the players I am after and I never do.

How do you guys who collect a player keep up with the want list saga? Do you have a way to import their checklists directly into your list or blog and not have to do it manually? I have been doing mine manually in case the lack of updates didn't clue you in on that. Does anyone use a card collecting software?

A few weeks ago I went and put every Pujols card I own into an Excel file and I feel like maybe rather than compose a want list, I can basically just say I want anything not on the have list....

I am definitely interested in hearing how you guys do your lists, and then you can all make bets on how long it takes me to actually fix mine.

12 comments:

  1. For newer players (post 80's) I take the listings from Beckett online and edit out the 1/1's and printing plates ('cause they just don't count!) and then paste 'em into my site pages. The lists are still huge.
    For older players (most of mine) I use the alphabetical checklist book and manually typed in the ones I'm still looking for. At this point that doesn't include a lot of regular base cards, so it's easier. I haven't included anything past their active playing years, though. I just check to see if I need later cards that are offered. I will probably go back and put in a complete list with post-career and oddball stuff for a few select guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it that pasting it to your site looks better than how it pastes into MS Word? I tried that once and it was a nightmare to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a printout of the Mets' all-time roster in the front of the binder that houses my autograph collection. When I put a new card in the binder, I highlight the player's name. The ones who aren't highlighted go on my wantlist page on my blog, which gets updated when I remember.

    Beyond that, I don't even try very hard to keep track. I went back about as far as I could with vintage cards before the Nolan Ryans and Tom Seavers made it cost prohibitive, and there are just too many cards made today for me to feel any enthusiasm for chasing down the ones I don't get right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically I have a list of what I have (on-card autos by sport), and anything not on the list is wanted. There will come a time where I find people of the same name and will have to differentiate. As it is, the list is going to be quite long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found it too time-consuming to compose a want list for a certain player I collect. I just make want lists of sets I'm building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Beckett just this weekned and copied all the Bill Virdon cards. (not as many as Pujols by far but more than I thought possible) I then pasted right into blogger. I tried pasting into Word and that was a disaster.

    For my team sets i pasted into excel and then uploaded that into Google Docs. This may be best for you since there are so many Pujols. I would create a worksheet for each year. in regular old excel and upload the whole thing. Go check out my team checklist and see what you think. There are surly more cards on my team set wwantlist than here are Pujols cards.

    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsSTHdRrSVUUdHZEMG1ZTktXUHR0SHIxZWYzOEFMVVE&hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the pasting takes a little work. You have to view Beckett in an IE tab (in Firefox) or in IE itself. Then copy and paste into Word. Then delete a few columns of the resulting table (with the big blocks, check boxes or graphic symbols) and then convert to text. I should do a video or something...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently picked up a copy of Card Collector 7.0. It is a bit repetitive but I can see where it is helping. You can make lists by player, Team, set, Wants, haves, etc. Just click on the name and it pops up and is easy to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the past I too would use Beckett & eBay to compile a master want list. Now with all of the parallels and such I just compose my list of what I own and anything I like that isn't on this list ends up on my want list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I can usually export the Topps checklists from their website into Excel it makes sorting team sets, inserts, variations and player cards rather simple.

    The only time consuming part is creating the word document to carry around in the PDA. A healthy cut and paste and a few tweeks here and there usually works out well.

    Upper Deck's website takes a bit more time but with the right find-and-replace executed a few times it turns out quite well.

    If anyone ever needs a checklist from a set I am doing please feel free to email me and just ask if I have it. I would be more than willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey... Since you don't have everything you want on here, might as well ask. 2009 Spectrum Pujols. Not an insert, but why not ask...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey. Since it says you don't have everything you want on here, you want a 2009 Spectrum Pujols. It's a common so you probably have it, but might as well ask.

    ReplyDelete