window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: 2009 Allen & Ginter

July 11, 2009

2009 Allen & Ginter

It seems as though most of the blogosphere was eagerly awaiting their pre-ordered boxes of 2009 Allen & Ginter. I can't really understand it anymore, and that says alot because I am a big fan of vintage reprint sets like Heritage, Goudey, and in case you didn't see O-Pee-Chee (which I have a post to write later about a blaster of that).

Every year I end up buying Ginter, and every year I end up bored and disappointed. I have more than enough Ferris Wheel and Groundhog cards to last me a lifetime. The only cards I am interested in, in the set I won't get in a pack, blaster, or box so there is no reason to bother. Past years I have been suckered into it, and this year I just can't see buying a set that has looked the exact same since it has hit the stores. We all see that I will generally buy one of everything, usually more than one, but this doesn't do it for me.

I will still take the burden of Pujols cards off your hands (and Cano, Lind, Martin, etc.) but I just won't have any from this set to trade. I will end up trading for the guys I want or picking them up at the show in White Plains in August.

I can hear you all gasping from here, sorry...

12 comments:

  1. I think how nice looking the Pujols base card is might change your mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you like Cano. I have a Career Best relic from this year's Topps. Are you interested in it? Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I generally agree with you. I like the cards of baseball players, but I could do without all of the other ones. I don't really get the obsession; but like you, I'll eventually pick up a pack or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat. I like the design, and if it was full of older players (like from the 80s...why don't the 80s get any love???) I might be interested. But as it is, I'm just not into it.

    That said, anyone who has extra Reds...my mailbox is always open to you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more> To me this set DEFINES, retread, tired design, gimmicks and just laziness from a set/product creativity standpoint. I loved it 3 years ago. I just don't get it anymore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many people love it for a myriad of reasons: Being painted, short prints, hard to pull subsets/parallels, Easter eggs, truly different autos/relics.

    I have to disagree with VOTC vehemently about this being tired - if it was a tired set it wouldn't be popular. Super popular. This is like... The new flagship product for Topps, it seems like. Each year is different - it may have the 'basic' design, but it's all new artwork, new subsets, crazy lookin' SPs... etc.

    It even draws the non-sports collectors like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cool, no need to apologize. Not everybody likes the same things. Variety is the spice of life. Or something. I dunno if that fits, but I'm going with it! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are plenty of cards that people collect that I entirely do not understand. 2009 Goudey is just frightening. A lot of high-end stuff blows.

    So, that's cool if you don't get A&G.

    But I could write a top 100 list on why I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We see why people love it, but we're not collecting it this year because of mostly the reasons you mentioned. This is called being wishy-washy. We decided to seek one or two high-end cards from '09 A&G rather than blow big bucks on boxes and blasters. We did that last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dinged corners, I will do the same. Probably just search for the Pujols relic and a Cano auto or relic out of the set, if there is one. And of course the base cards.

    Dan, I have the career best relic #/99, if you have the red that is not serial numbered I am definitely interested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the one I have. Bat relic. Red. No serial number. CBR-RC. email your address to me and I'll send it off. We'll figure out something later. dkrill-at-rochester-dot-rr-dot-com.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I remember correctly, I pulled some sort of Pujols mini and maybe even Pujols Nation card. Need either of those at all?

    Oh, btw, I got the OPC black Twins in the mail. Thank you megatons!!

    ReplyDelete