window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Hobby Box Break and Review: 2011 Topps Series 2

June 29, 2011

Hobby Box Break and Review: 2011 Topps Series 2

I know we already broke a case of the stuff and you have seen what is in the Jumbo boxes, but now you can take a look at what you can get inside a hobby box.

Each hobby box contains 36 packs per box, 10 cards per pack and is currently selling for around $50. I think $50 for this product is more than fair with the amount of cards in each box plus the Diamond Code cards and a hit.

Base cards: 280 total, zero doubles. Not bad if you are a set builder, not bad at all.

60th Anniversary cards

I get that there should be one card from each year commemorating 60 years, but seriously I think this would have been better left to just doing highlights from the years that are more scarce than doing it this way. I think I still have the Posey card on my desk somewhere not even put away yet.

1 original back 60th Anniversary card of Roy Halladay

9 Diamond Duos cards
6 Topps Town cards. Seriously, aren't we over these yet? I think this is one of those insert sets that Topps can kill next year. I almost don't even feel like they are inserts, almost like a promo card or checklist type of card that I just want to chuck in the pail. I know that sounds terrible but I just can't be bothered.

Topps 60, 9 cards. These are fun. I like them because they have players from all years on the same design. For me, this works much better than the 60 Years of Topps/Anniversary card set of re-prints. I have enough lame 1980's and 90's cards laying around. I like this set much better for the same purpose.

Before There Was Topps, 2 cards. Lame. Enough said.

4 gold cards
1 black card /60. This was nice to pull from a hobby box, most of the time it seems like you only see these in Jumbo boxes, or maybe that is just me.

Diamond Stars, 6 cards. Probably one of my favorite subsets of Series 2 just because it's something different and the background makes the player images really pop.

Diamond Anniversary Sparkle cards, 1o total. I think these were a fun parallel for this year being the anniversary but I wouldn't want to see them again unless they used this design for Chrome Xfractors.

Diamond Anniversary short print card of Jim Palmer

Kimball Champions mini cards. What else can I say about these cards? I love them, and I love mini cards. I think each year Topps flagship set should include a mini set, but each year make it different. Maybe some Turkey Red mini's next year? =) That would be AWESOME.

Ohhhh!!! Robbie Cano, don't ya know?! A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
Code cards


Report card.....

Design: A

I have to stick with my original opinion from Series 1 on the design aspect of the set. It's not like it changed or anything.

Value: A

The price point of roughly $50 per hobby box is on point for this product. You get a ton of base cards for set building or team collecting plus a great variety of inserts and parallels. You really can't go wrong for $50 give or take a few bucks.

Quality: A

There were no doubles, no damaged cards, and there were a ton of inserts in the box.

Overall: A

This is a great follow up set to Series 1 and includes some of the same sets that were inserts in series 1 and some new additions to the mix as well. I think Topps did a pretty good job with the 60th Anniversary stuff throughout series 1 and 2 this year.

P.S. Stay tuned to see what we are going to do with the cards from this break.

6 comments:

  1. I think us older collectors forget that ToppsTown is intended for kids who like to play on line.

    I'm glad Topps at least put some effort into it this year. I'm highly doubtful that they are going away until Topps sees lack on interest on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality: C or D

    Don't you hate all those base cards - seems like 2 per pack or so - that have what appear to be light pressure rollermarks or whatever on them?

    It drives me nuts so much that I don't qualify them as good enough for my PC and I hope I can pull a better condition card for the PC.

    Topps should hire a new printer for the sheets or maybe use thicker card stock that might be more robust in the machinery instead of that cheap-**** stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the base Topps has been my favorite set so far. And I really dig the Diamond Ann. parallels, they look great in-hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Diamond Anniversary Legends cards are not short printed. Just the base

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the nine Kimball Champions cards. Not a bad one in the bunch.

    ReplyDelete