window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Getting back to the basics

January 21, 2014

Getting back to the basics


A Cardboard Problem has been dead for two years.

Marie and I started doing other things in our lives after becoming entrenched in the hobby blog community. Blogging took a back seat until we just completely stopped driving the car.

But two years can change perspectives.

I remember toward the end my run on A Cardboard Problem I was unhappy with the site. It changed from what it initially was supposed to be – two friends who enjoyed collecting.

Sure, we wrote about that but we started writing about previews and reviews of products. We looked for ways to monetize the blog. It felt more like a job than a way to express ourselves. I write about cards for a living now at Beckett. I enjoy the fact that I actually do get paid now to do previews and reviews.

However, there is something that’s happened. I keep asking myself: “What happened to the fun?”

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed going to card shows and hearing people ask “Hey, aren’t you Sooz from A Cardboard Problem?”

Marie and I had fun days when we chased cards. We drove around southern New Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania looking for new card shows and card shops. We actually became friendly with shop owners in Hammonton, N.J. (where the store has since turned into a mortgage lender). I found a really great shop in Central New Jersey all because we followed some addresses in the Yellow Pages.

In short, we had fun.

I want to get back to that place where collecting feels like more than work.

Of course, working for Beckett means it is my job, but writing on A Cardboard Problem feels like a way to start enjoying the hobby again. Not worrying about what autograph is in a product or if the latest checklist has been posted.

For our former readers who have stuck around – thank you.

For new readers that may stumble upon our blog – welcome and hope you enjoy your stay.

(By the way, the photo is of Marie and me at the final game at Yankee Stadium. Another adventure of ours.)





8 comments:

  1. Happy to see both of you back. Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days.

    Happy to hear they're returning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your refocused perspectives on the hobby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you gals! Looking forward to new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed you two. Welcome back I'm glad to see you're hitting the top of my blogroll again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, I am glad to see you two are back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more with your stance. No matter the hobby, when it becomes work its time for a break. I recently stepped away myself and am returning with a new focus. Glad you ladies are as well.

    ReplyDelete