window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: The steroid era is back ... on cards

June 6, 2014

The steroid era is back ... on cards

Remember when everyone was crazy about steroids? We had to get those dirty players out of the game and clean up the wonderful game of baseball. Steroids have no place in sports!

OK, I’m being overdramatic, but many felt that way about PEDs back then and still feel that way now. I am not saying they’re right or wrong. Simply stating, they are there.

What’s interesting has been the latest baseball autographs offered in Topps release that feature a number of players from the steroid era. I noticed this while going through eBay listings for 2014 Topps Tier One. Autographs of Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Juan Gonzalez and Rafael Palmeiro were there ready for someone reliving those years to snatch up the cards.

Personally, I don’t have an issue with these autographs being in sets. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa brought the country back to baseball after the 1994 strike. I was 18 during the memorable home run race. I watched every moment I could, tuning into SportsCenter to see if either had hit a home run that night. I was at work at The Sports Authority the night McGwire broke the record and immediately got a phone call from a friend to let me that he just passed Roger Maris’ record.

I was excited about the feat. Even though he knocked a Yankee from the top of the record book, I loved baseball so much and was thrilled to see someone break the record.

Obviously, we know how that all changed, but it doesn’t take away how I felt that night. So maybe it’s these memories – and the years in between – that makes it OK to collect these guys again.

Mark McGwire cards










4 comments:

  1. Indeed, no Bonds, but that's not to say he isn't signing somewhere. I noticed signed baseballs of his for sale on Steiner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pumped to find a Sammy Sosa card in 2014 Archives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People won't have to compete with me to buy those cards. They can have them.

    ReplyDelete