window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Donruss adds to a player collector's sickness

March 27, 2014

Donruss adds to a player collector's sickness


Something other than Topps – that’s the way I feel about Donruss, Panini’s newest baseball offering.

The product is OK. I've heard mixed reviews on it. For me, I miss logos, but at least I have an option when it comes to buying baseball cards.

I didn’t buy any boxes or packs of Donruss, but I didn't need to because I have a sickness -- playing collecting.

Even if a product doesn’t have an overall appeal, you still need to get your player’s cards out of a set.

I managed to snag five Jeter Donruss cards from a dealer who breaks cases.

I thought the base design was solid, a little throwback, but it didn’t really factor much in either direction for me.


My favorite part of the cards was actually the backs – very old school. I like it.



The one thing I wished was different were the Diamond Kings cards. I didn’t like the real photos used as Diamond Kings are art cards. I would have liked Panini to use the same type of elements on the new Diamond Kings as they older ones.

And, of course, there are always parallels.





Anyone else grab any Donruss? What did you think?

6 comments:

  1. I liked it more than I disliked it. Like you said, something different. A few cool inserts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For lack of a better term, I was a Donruss fanboy in the 80s and 90s. I was excited for this product and I've broken two boxes and have enjoyed the cards. Yeah, the missing logos are a downer but on most cards I don't notice it unless I'm really looking at it. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hosted a group break of this product and I really enjoyed it. My 2nd box was shorted 2 of the hits, but I know Panini will make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up breaking a box and really liked it. Other than the base set was too small and that the DK's and Rated Rookies were short printed which makes completing the set tough. I too disliked the use of photos for the Diamond Kings. I ended up pulling four hits all relics I'm hoping Panini sends me my two autos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overpriced, poorly designed fronts, pain-in-the-ass SPs for an unlicensed product. The only reason people are excusing this product is because it's not Topps.

    Not into it.

    http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2014/03/donruss-if-youre-into-that-kind-of-thing.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The owl is very wise. Totally agree. I see a lot of singles on the bay with no takers. The problem with this kind of product is, if you keep buying (MLBP) unlicensed, where is the incentive to push for an actual license.

    ReplyDelete