window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Boring Boring.....

July 6, 2011

Boring Boring.....

Why are these cards soooooo boring?!



Lately I think it's been pretty obvious that I have had no interest in anything out. The lack of blogging kind of says it all. I have picked up a couple of cards and got some cards and things sent to me in the mail that I want to show later on but I don't see what the appeal of 2011 Goodwin Champions really is.

Blasters arrived at Target today and I picked one up just to read it and learned that you get a whole 4 cards per pack, 12 packs per box. "Hard signed" autographs are a possibility, and there is no guaranteed hit per box.

Why would I pay $20 for 36 unlicensed cards of players wearing a random outfit from when they went food shopping one day? I don't think I could find these less appealing.

Did anyone buy these? I posted the picture on Twitter last night and it seems like most people agreed with me on the lack of appeal. Let me know what you guys think. Anyone else out there as bored with cards right now as I am?

13 comments:

  1. I don't understand the appeal of the animal manu-patch cards at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Ginter-light for those who can't wait. It doesn't seem to be dominant in any one area as far as subjects go, so for hardcore major sports collectors, I'd see limited appeal. But as Ginter can attest, there's a market for the strange stuff. And it serves a niche market as far as outside the mainstream sports go. For the most part, I like the image selection. Many show a different side of the subject. I know I'm bored of the standard pitching strides and arms-extended swings I see on nearly every card. Licensed or not, I'm good with a Nolan Ryan wearing a cowboy hat with longhorns hanging in the background. Animal manu-patches is stretching it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would be 48 cards my little math major :)

    meh... I can take them or leave them... like it's been said, they're Allen and Ginter released earlier in the year. So if you like Ginter, you'll like these, if not........

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has been such a lack of anything new I actually bought 2 blasters. Boy, am I sorry. 98 cards and only 8 of them were of baseball players. I did manage the Mike Schmidt card (or it's a painting of some guy they claimed was Schmidt), but otherwise, a complete loss. Also, the box says contains 12 packs. It also says contains 2 bonus packs. Of the 12 packs I couldn't figure out which 2 were the bonus packs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how this post is the opposite of dayf's cardboard junkie posts today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in a funk lately too. Sets like this aren't helping...

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol Canuck. I never said I was going back to school for math.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Allen & Ginter.

    I have no interest in collecting what is, for all intents and purposes, an A&G knock-off.

    Besides, Ginter comes out next week anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought one pack (which I'll share on my blog) from my LCS the other day and I have mixed feelings. 2 of the cards I got are going into my team collection...the others I'm not sure what to do. I tried building (still am) the 2009 set, but I'm not sure I want to invest the time and money this time around. I like some of what I've seen, but then there are the silly animal patch cards. I don't get those at all. The entomology cards are intriguing, but with my luck I'll never even see one of those cards in person let alone pull one from a pack.

    Bring on 2011 A&G!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't care for Goodwin Champions, but I did pick up a UD product this week (my first UD product since 2010) --- World of Sports.

    the cards actually look pretty nice and I like the variety of sports included. Pulled my first relic from the box and am getting ready to post that pack's content to my blog in a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These do nothing for me. I can relate to the card funk. But I'm more annoyed right now. Opened 3 boxes of 2009 Topps series 2. 18 cards with no foil on the front, and the one shortprint I pull (Brooks Robby) has a bent corner. Way to go Topps. I would blame it on the monopoly, but this occurred before the dark times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This set may go down as one of the worst of all time.

    ReplyDelete