window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: The Rookie Card and eBay

September 19, 2007

The Rookie Card and eBay

For the past several years I have been putting aside all Rookie cards, and first year cards into separate boxes from their respective sets. In doing so, my intention was to decide who I was going to seek out as a collection and try to complete it as best as possible with the funds available.

However, the problem with this comes shipping and handling charges. Recently, I have decided to start collecting Adam Lind cards because I figured they would be relatively easy to find in the tri-state area, and he wasn't a "Pujols" type of player, where his cards would be sky high on eBay and Beckett's website. I purchased one autographed card today on eBay, and the only reason I purchased it was because I can't go wrong with $4.99 for the card, even though the shipping is $4.00!!!! It is costing me $4.00 for standard First Class mail. Though that makes me very angry, in this case it evens out in my book. I will be scanning my Adam Lind collection once I get the cards that I have ordered, and put together my collection that I currently have. I am also willing to trade cards with any readers for multiple players, as would Sooz I'm sure

The point to the blog essentially is that sellers on eBay think that because the United States Postal Service raised their prices slightly that it gives them the right to overcharge the customer even more to compensate for the additional nickel it costs them.



Now if you go onto eBay you will see dozens of sellers charging $3-$5 for shipping one card. It is outrageous to think that these people do this with a clear conscience. My partner here purchased a card recently, and paid I believe $2.50 OR $3.00 for shipping and the card came in a regular white envelope with a $0.41 stamp. That seller should be disciplined by eBay since you can not take any action other than reporting them for excess shipping charges.

My advice to everyone is this: Try and buy what you can on Beckett from one or two sellers to save on shipping costs, and if you buy on eBay be very careful of the shipping cost before bidding, and if possible purchase from the same seller. Do not be afraid to report people for excess shipping charges as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment