window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Box Break: 2014 High Tek - Nostalgia at its finest

December 7, 2014

Box Break: 2014 High Tek - Nostalgia at its finest



The urge to break is strong. If you are a card collector, you know what I mean.

Last week, I watched box breaks on Twitter, the forums and peeked at cards showing up on eBay from the many (MANY!) of new products that came out. While Dynasty is a bit out of my price range, Topps High Tek piqued my interest. Nostalgia is a heck of a buying force.

I hit the card shop (The Baseball Card Store in Midland Park, NJ) and picked up a box. Admittedly, I’m not always fan of one-pack products; I prefer breaks that take longer so I can check out the base cards and the inserts. Yes, I still take my time going through cards.

However, I made an exception for Tek because I really enjoyed the breaks I saw – although I know I didn’t really have to worry about chasing an entire Derek Jeter set because he wasn’t included in the base set.

Here are the cards I pulled: 

Chris Owings



Prince Fielder


Julio Teheran


Albert Pujols


Paul Goldschmidt


Paul Goldschmidt autograph


Even though Tek comes with one autograph pe box, the Goldy auto wasn't the best card that I pulled. I got a Magenta Printing Proof (1-of-1) of ... 


(I forgot to scan the front, so here's a pic)

6 comments: