window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Mission Accomplished at the Card Show

January 17, 2009

Mission Accomplished at the Card Show






The evening started with me driving over to pick up Sooz at her parents house which is a short way from the Convention Center at around 5pm. It was about 15 degrees at this point by the way. We paid $4 for parking my salt-mobile, $7 each for admission, and we were on our way to being broke within seconds of getting our admission tickets. Before you read of what I got tonight, I wanted to pat myself on the back for sticking to my game plan of going for all Pujols and 2001-2004. I did end up buying mostly those years with 1 or 2 later ones I needed. I also didn't end up buying a ton of Yankees which I tend to do.

I made it about 8 feet into the show floor before spending $4 bucks on a Pujols 2005 Ultimate Collection card #'ed 030/475. The lady who I purchased this card from was wearing a necklace with the number 33 in all diamonds, interesting thing I noticed.

My next stop was to TNT Cards booth, I know him from eBay (sad, I know). There I was able to pick up a 2005 Topps Bazooka Robinson Cano and a 2006 Topps Turkey Red White Robinson Cano, both for a buck. They didn't have change at the time and told me I could have the cards, and if I remembered to bring the 2 bucks later great, if not I could keep them anyway.

Moving right along I picked up a 2006 Bowman Chrome Pujols for a buck, got my change and returned to the previous vendor to pay them back.

Next on the money sucking trip was me and Sooz not finding each other for a while since we tend to like to search for different things, and end up always talking to different people as we go. I was searching a box that was marked "all cards half-off", meaning they were overpriced and trying to look like a great deal. This same guy has the same sale going on for about 2 years now. Sooz calls me and tells me there is a guy with a box of Yankees and Pujols cards for a buck a card. I put everything back and went to where she was. I picked out a bunch of cards, checked them against my checklist that I had with me and walked away from there with 22 new Pujols cards and 1 Jeter that I liked.

I know, I have issues but I'm not even done yet.

Onto the (cringe) Beckett booth to submit my 2 Pujols rookie cards. I chose 45 day turn around because I am cheap at $9 per card. $13 for shipping, $7 for insurance for a grand total of $38. Great. In my defense, ask Sooz what she thought of my cards... They are in really good condition, probably 9's or better.

Then I find another eBay seller I have talked to at shows before and have bought stuff from many times, Rookies & Stars. There I discovered a box of Yankees, as well as star cards like Pujols. We chatted for a bit, then I called Sooz to come over because it was a Jeter jackpot from what I saw. I ended up finding 6 Pujols cards, including one ROOKIE, a 2001 Fleer McGwire/Pujols card. I also picked up 4 Jeters, 1 A-Rod and 1 Phil Hughes card I didn't have. These cards were 6 for $5 bucks, which was nice, I just wish he had more Pujols cards. We talked for a great deal of time about eBay, having a store on there, and his physical store. He told us quite a bit of interesting info about how his store has been doing as well as answering my questions about prices to have a table and booth at the show.

My final stop, yes it's over here, was to the supply table I like. There is a couple who gets a booth at every show and sells supplies at a very reasonable price. I made some small talk here on 2 separate trips today, they are super friendly and Yankee fans. We purchased 5 packs of penny sleeves for $2, and a pack of super thick toploaders for $3, and I got a two row box for myself. I probably should have picked up a binder, but it can wait.

Sooz can tell you all about her adventure since hers might have a bit of different information.

I scanned a couple of cards to show a few of my favorites. I particularly like the Fleer Ultra Pujols because when he played the OF there weren't many, if any others of him fielding his position and this was a great shot. Him catching a fly ball at Wrigley Field.

P.S. Not one vendor that was selling recent singles had Pujols UD X XPonential 2 to finish those off.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sooz's Story

I didn't want to make an entirely seperate post about the items, I got so I am just putting it in the bottom of Marie's post.

I'm also don't have an as much detailed account as Marie's. The main part to know is that I got 52 cards (49 Jeter) for $50 in the end. I'm thrilled.

There was only vendor that I paid more than $1 for a Jeter card, and to him I paid $2. I got a Jeter short-print also for $2.

That's it. That's my story.

Autos and game-used cards are far too much money at these shows, so I stuck to singles.

1 comment:

  1. I probably would've done the same thing. Those supplies were super cheap. I can only hope to find those deals when I go to the card show in Raleigh.

    ReplyDelete