window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: Contest Results: Runner Up

January 14, 2010

Contest Results: Runner Up

Here is our runner-up in the contest, Steve. Both myself and Sooz enjoyed Steve from White Sox Cards response and thought that he deserved his submission to be posted and we will be sending Steve a little something as well.


1. What was your introduction to card collecting?

Marie: I will have to assume that it was getting cards on Christmas and random other occasions. However my first memory of opening a pack really is of WWF cards that my mom used to get me and my brother a pack each when we went to rent movies.

Sooz: I don't really remember a specific moment. Just my older brother and cousins going through their cards when I was a child.

2. What has been your best memory about collecting cards?

Marie: It would probably have to be getting my first Pujols auto card, the triple relic auto that Sooz got me. I really didn't see it coming at all which was awesome.

Sooz: Finally winning a 1993 Jeter SP rookie card. I was sitting at my parent's home and clicking away on the computer.

3. If you had to pick a card company (past or present) to exclusively collect, which would it be and why?

Marie: Donruss, hands down.

Sooz: Fleer, though, for some reason, Pacific is a close second.

4. If money were no object, which one card made before 1948 would you want in your collection and why?

Marie: coin toss, 1936 Goudey Joe D. or 1940 Play Ball Joe D. I like both card designs and someday would like to get one of his original cards.

Sooz: a 1921 Miller Huggins card. First year Yankees won a World Series championship and Huggins was manager.

5. If you could only keep one card for the rest of your life, which card would that be and why?

Marie: Geez, one card.... I would probably keep the Pujols glove auto or Bowman RC (auto more than likely).

Sooz: 1993 Jeter SP rookie. It's actually the only Jeter card that is sitting in my safe right now.

6. If you saw yourself in the background of a baseball card, how many copies would you own and how did you reach that number?

Marie: I would buy as many as I could find, then sign them and sell them as buyback auto's on eBay ;)

Sooz: I would get as many as I possibly could get my hands on. I hope it would be a common because then I would give out the cards like business cards.


7. If your favorite player ended up on the team that you disliked the most, would you still follow him as closely as before? Please explain your answer.

Marie: Yes, most definitely. I would cheer for them as an individual and not for his team. However, when playing against the Yankees or in a pennant race to beat the Yankees out of the play-offs I would hope he ends up with the Golden Sombrero.

Sooz: If Jeter went to the Red Sox, I would still root for him. He has always been my favorite and a uniform wouldn't change that. BUT, I would not collect a single card of his in a Red Sox uniform.

8. You have to evacuate your house quickly and can never retrieve anything left behind. You can only save one of two items which are on opposite sides of the room at an equal distance. A long personal signed letter from your favorite player stating how much he loves and admires you or an original T206 Honus Wagner card in mint condition. After evacuating and saving one, people will only believe you had the one that you saved. Which one do you save and why?

Marie: T206 definitely. How else would I buy back all the stuff I lost? But... with my cat-like speed and reflexes I would surely have grabbed a binder or box.

Sooz: Original T206. I can sell it and able to get my life back in order. At that point, I wouldn't care about baseball cards, but getting a new home and clothes.


Thank you Steve for your entry. We will be sending you a runner up prize.

Stay tuned for the questions out of the non-winning entries that we enjoyed.

1 comment: