window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: I know I shouldn't be cranky, but ...

December 17, 2009

I know I shouldn't be cranky, but ...

I'm going to get ripped for this post. I'm aware it's going to happen as I write this.

Here's my story:

I went to Target and picked up a $30 tin of 2009 Sweet Spot, my second of the year. The first one I didn't too terribly. I didn't get many Yankee base cards, but I didn't hate the hit.



Then, I did a group Twitter break with Voice of the Collector. I hated the card I got there. It was so bad not even the Houston collector wanted it.



I thought I would try my luck a third time. Third time's a charm ... heh. Well, I did get lucky. I smashed the odds that state there is supposed to be one jersey or autograph per tin.

Just one.

So, I opened the first pack and saw a Derek Jeter base card on top. Not a bad way to start.

I got the hit in the first pack:



Then, I thought, I don't think the UD 20th anniversary game-used cards are real hits. I think they are extras. So, I probably have another.

Next pack a Joba Chamberlain base on top. Cool.

Then, this hit:


I open the third pack and peek at the card in the middle. I see it's another jersey. All I'm thinking to myself is "Wow. I can't believe I got three jersey cards."

I look at the card:


Yet, after all that I felt incredibly deflated. I smashed the odds and two out of three cards were Red Sox. The third was from a sport I haven't watched in five years, at least. RED SOX!!

There ya go. I almost wished I saved the money from that tin.

Now, go ahead and rip me.

7 comments:

  1. Nice job whoopin' the odds. Seems to be happening to a lot of bloggers lately, even me. :D

    Also, I didn't know the 20th anniversary relics came in retail. That's like a case hit, isn't it?

    Oh, and would you rather I make fun of the Red Sox jerseys? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathize. I think I'd feel the same way if I opened a tin and got Yankees or Phillies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No rips. I understand your dislike of the Red Sox. What I don't understand is your dislike of the Red Sox to the point that you don't seem to appreciate that you have a jersey card of a Hall of Famer. Two, but you don't hate the Carlton card.

    If that Yaz card is going to cause you problems, I'll see what I can scrape up in trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, looks you got my box.

    I will gladly take any unwanted Red Sox off of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would you like in return for the Yaz card? He hit a home run off my dad in the minors and caused my dad to give up pitching. So, I guess, in some weird way, I owe my life to Yaz. Name your price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you guys wanna trade (And I have no problem moving any of these cards), send me an email to yanxchick@gmail.com

    I collect Jeter and Kouzmanoff. Also, I am willing to listen to most Yankee offers, but I collect mostly Pettitte, Posada and Rivera in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see no problem with those hits whatsoever. Now, that Joba base card...that could be a problem.

    ReplyDelete