window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-12381093-3'); A Cardboard Problem: The East Coast National has something for every type of collector

August 18, 2019

The East Coast National has something for every type of collector


It's always funny to me the August White Plains card shows is dubbed the East Coast National. The word national kind of throws it off when it's just on the East Coast.

I always enjoy this show though -- along with the January one -- because it's one of the biggest ones on the calendar in the NY area. But it's difficult to get into it especially if you just came back from the actual National.

The difference for me was that I worked the National Sports Collections Convention and didn't have as much time as I would have liked to walk around. Thankfully, Marie did some scouting and found some tables with Derek Jeter cards for sale. I hopped over when I got a break.

Since coming back from the NSCC, I have a renewed sense of updating my Jeter Collection. I really don't know what I have anymore. When people ask how many I have, I say over 3,000 different because it's true, but I have no clue of the exact number.

I don't know what I need anymore and I certainly don't even know what I have.

So before heading out to the East Coast "National," I did my best in logging the cards I have. This way, to limit the amount of double I would buy.

While I have only gotten through roughly half -- I've sorted about 1,500 cards, so far -- I'm still no where near where I need to be. But it was still so helpful in having that list. Because one thing I also realized while logging the cards I have is that I'm missing so many inexpensive cards because I assumed I had them.

I managed to get 30 Jeter cards while at the White Plains Show. I know that at least one is double though because I couldn't find it in my shet while I was looking. The moment I got home -- boom! -- there it was.

Isn't that always the case.

As always, the show is filled with vintage cards. Beckett, PSA and SGC were all there. As well as auction houses looking for items.

It's a good show to go to every six months or so because the dealers don't rotate much. Generally, it's the same people every time and with a White Plains shows every 2-3 months, you're looking at the same cards over and over.

And it's not cheap to get in. The biggest sticking point is the convention parking lot is $15 (there are other places to park nearby), and $10 just to get inside. I know the convention center and the promoter need to make money, the promoter should be getting the biggest chunk out of the autograph tickets.

You're already down $25 before you've bought anything!

I don't have time to search for street parking because I have a 3-year-old in tow. We started bringing him to card shows in hopes he will enjoy cards too.

He does like Pokemon though. So he was catching Pokemon with his new ball while Mommy was looking through a box of Jeter cards. It's a good thing he's cute because the dealers were having fun with him and didn't mind the ball rolling into their area too much.

By the way, how awesome is this packaging? (It wasn't dented when we bought it)


All in all, it's a solid show. I wish the amenities were a bit cheaper and there were slightly more modern cards. But it's a good mix with a little something for everyone.

Even the Jeter collector.


8 comments:

  1. I have never paid to go to a card show, probably never will (unless I find the time to actually catch a National. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places are $1 or $2, which I get. It's not free to run a card show. But $10 is extreme.

      Delete
  2. Great read! Not sure if I will ever make the trip out East, but definitely will in retirement! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. $25 just to get into the place? It sounds like the Rose Bowl Swap Meet I went to two weekends ago ($18 admission + $15 parking). But I gotta say... if they had a West Coast National that charged $10 admission + $15 parking, I'd gladly hand over my $25 for that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot, but I still go. It's not enough to keep me away yet.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to this one in about 10 years but I enjoyed it a lot when I went and plan to go back one day. The $10 admission is rough, but you usually get a "free" autograph ticket and a raffle ticket, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobby Shantz was the free autograph signer this time around. They do give you that and a pack of cards for the kids.

    ReplyDelete